Fly Fusion Forums

Coming To Calgary From Feb22-Mar2/3 Fishing Suggestions

dlo

gonna be in Calgary for a week and will prob be able to fish a day or two anyone got any suggestions i'll have my auger and ice gear as well as my fly rod(suggestions on what to bring would be great as I could bring my 8wt spey or 8 single or 4 single)

thanks in advance

gonna be in Calgary for a week and will prob be able to fish a day or two anyone got any suggestions i'll have my auger and ice gear as well as my fly rod(suggestions on what to bring would be great as I could bring my 8wt spey or 8 single or 4 single)

thanks in advance

Your thanks is appreciated ;)

I do not know anything about the icefishing.

The Bow River is a great fishery, but it is not an easy water to learn in a couple of days.

Mostly nymphs and streamers are productive. I prefer a 6wt to fish the Bow. Early March, it is *possible* that you will find some dry action, and you will be casting size 20-22 midges, but it is like a 1in100 chance. Given the choices, I would bring the 8wt single. I like fishing my 4wt, but the warm weather in very typically accompanied by a 35+km/h wind.

If you fish nymphs---you will probably be casting and indicator, a spit shot, and 2-3 nymphs.

If you are casting streamers, you will be casting something with quite a bit of weight (to get down) or a sink tip with a lighter fly (still...a little heavy for the 4wt).

San Juan worms (sz 16-14) and any assortment of nymphs size 16-20 catch fish. I find streamers hit-n-miss---this is not because they are not productive, but rather because I am not very good at fishing them. The only thing that I can say---darker colours seem to work better...um...most of the time.

Be careful walking the banks.

I'm not afraid of cold weather

I'm not "afraid" of cold neither,but slushy river,iced up guides,cold feet,numb fingers aren't what I consider an enjoyable day on the river.Looks like coyote huntn weather this week,I need +3C and sunny to get inspired for winter fishn.