Fly Fusion Forums

Windows Movie Maker Questions

WesG

I am posting this question for Kyle who for some reason cant post messages on here right now? Anyway....

Im wondering if anyone can shed some light on this problem Im having with windows movie maker...

I have 2 cameras(hp, canon) and the video from one of the cameras(hp) can be uploaded to windows movie maker, but the other camera(canon powershot) cannot upload video files to windows movie maker. The hp has the name of the files as IM and then six numbers (such as IM000337) and the canon has the files saved as MVI and then 4 numbers (such as MVI_0375), not sure if this last piece of info I gave you will make any difference. Also the hp I can watch the videos in windows media player, but the canon wont let me play them in windows media player(intervideo winDVD runs the canon movies fine)

I honestly dont have the slightest idea what I could do to get it to work, so aso any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any info!

Most likely your cannon formats the video as "AVI". I know most HP's use MPEG which Windows accepts. Right click on the Cannon video files and goto properties and note what file type it is.

Converting AVI's to MPEG is possible but it never works properly all the time, if at all. If their small it usually works better. I usually use WinAVI Video Converter http://www.winavi.com. but there are others also. I prefer a true MPEG editor as WMM is chalk full of flaws.

Video has 2 main concerns. Resolution which is video size, Most cameras are 640x480. DVD's are 720x480. HD tv 1080 x 720 pixels. Second is the 'codec' or format like MPEG(1,2,4), WMA/WMV, AVI, ect. There is also frame rate but its usualy not something you need to deal with.

Check your camera to see if it has video quality settings. You can convert the AVI's to MPEG then open them in WMM.