Fly Fusion Forums

Tying Challenge #3

Flytyer

The idea for the new challenge for this week comes from playing around with what I had to work with at last weekend's FF Expo. Originally I want to do a bunch of different hoppers and I didn't have the proper hooks or substitutes for and none of the vendors had anything suitable either. So I tied some flies with what I had available.

For this challenge you can only use 2 materials in addition to your thread and hook. This one will make you think about how best to use the that you choose.

Good luck.

Good one Don, I was aware of the leech but I didn't have any marabou either and really didn't want to buy any more materials but I would up buying some steely blue ice dub anyway for another project that I'm working on at the moment.

I suppose technically lead or wire for weight and beads could be deemed as material. When you look at the leeches I doesn't know for sure if weight is added under the body. There are no real hard and fast rules just doing this to get the guys to experiment a bit.

I was actually tying these two flies before this weeks challenge. Figured I would post them up quickly

First is an articulated sculpin. Only materials used are the fish skull sculpin helmet and cross cut zonker strips. The grey ones didnt turn out quite as great because the strips were thinner, although the body worked out fine still.

Z671Bu7.jpg?1

This one is an Irresistible Griffiths Gnat. Only black deer belly hair and grizzly hackle used.

76Zflha.jpg?3