Fly Fusion Forums

New Furnace

I am a first time home-owner. My house was built in 1977 and still has the original furnace. The home inspector warned me about the furnace, so I knew what I was getting into. I know that a service/overhaul will extend the life of it for a couple more years, but I see the upper lifetime is about 25 years for a furnace. The pilot light has been going out. The motor squeaks. The

Given how furnaces are drastically more efficient now, it actually makes sense to replace it sooner than later. While gas is presently cheap, electricity is becoming much more expensive.

I am a strong believer in buying some things outright, like phones, electronics etc. I do not like payments. A furnace, however, is something that I can justify a monthly payment.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

We replaced ours about 6 years ago. Went with Carrier (mid efficiency). We have a suite so needed 2. Cost us about $4000-$4500 each if I remember correctly. Carrier did have some incentives that lowered the cost. The installer was a grumpy old guy, but knew his stuff. The city inspector mentioned that he has never had a problem with this particular installer ever (which was really great to hear)! We didn't need a high efficiency furnace as our house was built in '68 and it's not as well sealed as the houses built these days so wouldn't be worth the extra $...

As long as your heat exchanger on your original furnace is good, you can keep it going. You probably need a thermocouple for your pilot light issue....you can use ATF fluid to lube your belt on the furnace motor to stop the squeaking, and you will see a lube fitting where you can oil the bearing on the fan shaft. Change your filter every 8 weeks in the heating season. Furnace motors are not expensive to buy on your own and replace.

The markup on furnaces and installations is very high. As Tungsten says, finding someone in the HVAC field, or a plumber who can do some sheet metal work if needed is the way to go.

I had an HVAC guru friend help my change out mine a few years ago. Went to high effeciency. Made a difference on the gas bill, but not as dramatic as I had hoped. We had to do some intake damper work as well to make it work better, and the returns had to be reworked.

Thanks for the advice. Given 'finding a guy to do it for cheap' is not really a reasonable option for me, it sounds like I should budget about $5000. Right?

I would be very careful with any monthly payments through the utility providers. There has been some horror stories surrounding these schemes.

What do you mean? I cannot find anything.

What do you mean? I cannot find anything.

I work in the HVAC industry. The cost to have a furnace replaced through almost any company nowadays is ridiculous. I just had a conversation with a wholesaler of ours that supplies furnaces to installers. He said the rates being charged by installers for a standard furnace install in an 1100 sq ft home are anywhere from $4-9000, without A/C!!.

Utility providers that offer furnace replacement plans are usually just playing the middle man. Their payment plans are usually through finance companies that put the customers on very long repayment plans that make it look as though you are getting something cheap due to a low monthly bill when in reality you end up paying double the going rate. Their installs are done by the same guys that you would contact through the phone book to do an install. They also try to up sell with service plans that a guy with a little mechanical aptitude could easily perform him/herself. Do not pay for 12 months is another gimmick. It all adds up to a very thin wallet in the long run.

By the way I do furnace installs. The starting rate is $12000.00. This includes no interest for 30 days, free filter every 10 years, 20 year checkup if I'm still alive then, and an all expense paid float trip down the Bow. You have to buy lunch and drinks though. :whistle:

• Like 2