Fly Fusion Forums

This Ain't Pretty

Don, since you worked in the industry, do you have any suggestions on how to improve? As a scientist, I hold no weight to a news article. Show me a legitimate study with predictions on volume. I worked on the North Slope of Alaska and we had to place drip pans under our vehicle. If drop of oil or diesel hit the pan, it was reported. Speaking of which, I wonder how many vehicles in alberta have leaked oil, antifreeze or gas spilled from re-fuelling.

My comments are not aimed to say leaks are acceptable and shouldn't be improved, but all this anti stuff is ridiculous. Come up with answers, be informed, find alternatives if it all bothers you.

The world wants oil, these are some of the sacrifices. No one wants to hear that last sentence, but I'm not going to be ignorant or naïve.

Pipes,

While I like many would love to share with you and others a "legimate"study, the Alberta govt doesn't record or track all spills. This is not dis-similar to what I ran into when attempting to discover how much water oil companies used. The data wasn't available. Nobody reported, nobody tracked and frankly few cared.

As long as the " business as usual" track was followed and the money flows, screw it - and as often repeated in the oil business - giv'er.

If you wish a study that would have valid data, you best look elsewhere than Alberta as you would have discovered if you had read all the report. Of course, to a scientist, what do reporters know!

As far as doing it better. You do realize that very few pipelines are monitored except by smell and appearance when the stuff flows outta the ground. Landowners are the first responders in the bulk of pipeline leaks. There are few instances of "smart pigs" being run to check pipeline integrity. Low pressure ESD's only work if the leak is gross. Some leaks may go on for years w/o detection till the leak shows above ground. Frankly, there is no easy solution.

As far as scientists effecting much - look to the climate change debate to get a sense of how useful most people see scientific data and whether or not scientific proof will effect out-comes.

Don

• Like 1

Don, thanks for agreeing with my statement on realistic information. I'm aware of the situation. Like you were; I am in the industry. The point to my comment wasn't the report. It was the copy and paste activism that you like to do. Seems like you hit Cntrl Alt C and Cntrl Alt V to make you feel like you have done society good. What I am asking for are solutions. Activists for the most part are lazy. They like to regurgitate information most don't understand and complain. That's the tip of the iceberg in coming up with solutions and answers.

I'm challenging you and all the folks that think they are changing the world when laying their sleeping bag across a gravel road.

Pipes,

Yupe, I'm an activist. I do and you sit.

Before you start slinging mud, you best take some time and figure out just who I am and what I have done. Till, then you are just a part of the problem.

And with that, I'm heading to the basement to start another cane rod for donation to the Edmonton TU Group for their Grayling Project.

I think I've have enough of scientists for a while. Useful bunch all!

Don

• Like 1

Don, I'm well aware of who you are and I am not diminishing the work you have done with TU. You posted this topic along with others on this forum of similar nature. Posting on forums invites debate and questioning. I asked valid questions and I'm not going to apologize for pushing you or anyone else on the topic. I know of your TU ventures. I also know that the industry stuffs the pockets of TU. I see your posts on the oil and gas industry, which despite your work history and its support, you seem to have a disdain.

I'll save myself from dropping my pants too to see who is bigger. Maybe take some of your own advice and find out more about me. Invite me out for a coffee and maybe I'm not just a snot nosed kid acting tough behind a keyboard. Maybe, just maybe you might even be pleasantly surprised at my own efforts.

Pipes,

Unlike you, I have a real name and have the balls to believe that oil companies and Govts can do better and have no qualms about

posting my name to such thoughts. And frankly, the hype that oil companies provide must be offset by other info. As I have neither the skills or resources to take on yet another project (still working on the oil company sucking up fresh water issue) I will wait for you or others to take on the information gathering and publishing about pipeline leaks. Till you or others spring into life, I guess we have to rely on the people who produce the news to "tell the story".

I do realize that TUC gets a pile of it's funding from oil companies. Good thing or bad - you be the judge. As for me I asked and asked for a position paper from TUC regarding the use of fresh water for water floods. After 6 or 7 years, I suspect that I'll never see it. As far as TUC providing me either expertise or money for projects. That hasn't happened in <> 20 years.

As far as a coffee chat.

Gotta know who you are - got a good take on the what part.

Don

• Like 1