Fly Fusion Forums

Lb Test Rating?

Guest ArtVandelay

Hi Guys

I'm just wondering how the lb test rating for various lines is attained. If I were to make an educated guess, tippet that's rated at, say, 3 lb test means it can hold a dead weight of 3 lbs before breakage. But that would also depend on the length of the line. Am I on the right track here?

While we're on the topic, what about split shot? My present kit has #1, #4, #6, AB and BB size shot. What's that all about?

I realize I could probably look this up, but if we all did that, what would we talk about? :blink:

Neil

Guest bigbadbrent

they underrate their line, some new lines have an average break lb printed on their tippets, with most well above their labelled.

I tested tippet strength for a science project years ago, with 5 lb test, doing dead weight, most could hold well up to 8 lb's and beyond at dead weight. I think the major breaking point will happen when you set the hook, or within the first 20 seconds of a fight, due to the shock..

Pound test tippet, which are pretty well all that we use, are rated on their minimum breaking straining when new. This is a straight steady pull, not using knots which weaken the material. You can occasionally get a bad batch which breaks belos test, but that is often material that has been on the shelf awhile. Class rated material, which you would want to use when fishing for records, is rated on maximum strength and is basically guaranteed to break just below the rated level. Obviously you have a lot more leeway with test rated material. Knots, age, exposure to chemicals, etc will all weaken leader materials to varying extents. Learn to tie good knots and lubricate them well when pulling tight, because they represent weak points. Also, pick out any wind knots in your leader because they can reduce the leader strength by over 50%.

The only thing I know about the split shot thing is that smaller numbers represent bigger shot, and larger letters (ie. B is larger than A) also represent bigger shot. All letters are larger than numbers in weighing shot. Some of the other guys may have a better grrasp on the origins of the shot sizing system. Esoteric info, not much.