Fly Fusion Forums

Flies To Use

for nymphing triple rig nymphs. I use a nine foot 3x leader and then usually tie on 8 to ten inches of 8 pound test onto it. Then I tie either a swivel from that and start my rig from there, or if im going three big nymphs I start right from the 8 lb. I tie eye to eye with about 10 to 12 inches in between flys. If i want to use a smaller nymph I tie 6 inches after the swivel tie the first small nymph there then another pc of 8 lb 20 inches from the swivel and the second bigger fly there. Then end with a worm or a streamer on the end. Thats how i nymph and the other set up I use a lot is hopper dropper.

• Like 1

Dry fly and nymph guy.

Done a bit of streamer fishing but not to fussed on it, but have tied up some sculpin patterns to be a bit more representive of bait fish in the water so will try those.

I'm using a 9' tapered leader (3,4 and 5X), four turn water knot 2' tippet, fly, then 2' Tippet then a smaller fly.

Flies I've been chucking are klinkhamers, caddis emergers and adults, BWO spinners (early am)

Nymphs, stones, hares ear, prince, copper johns size 14 to 8.

Thanks for your help. The confidence is taking a knock blanking every time.

Dry fly and nymph guy. Done a bit of streamer fishing but not to fussed on it, but have tied up some sculpin patterns to be a bit more representive of bait fish in the water so will try those. I'm using a 9' tapered leader (3,4 and 5X), four turn water knot 2' tippet, fly, then 2' Tippet then a smaller fly. Flies I've been chucking are klinkhamers, caddis emergers and adults, BWO spinners (early am) Nymphs, stones, hares ear, prince, copper johns size 14 to 8. Thanks for your help. The confidence is taking a knock blanking every time.

i hope you all so have tried some sj worms they are a killer on the bow. I have had luck every year on a elk hair caddis size 12 hocked a 20 inch rainbow last saturday and all so have had luck on a size 20 adams as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dry fly and nymph guy. Done a bit of streamer fishing but not to fussed on it, but have tied up some sculpin patterns to be a bit more representive of bait fish in the water so will try those. I'm using a 9' tapered leader (3,4 and 5X), four turn water knot 2' tippet, fly, then 2' Tippet then a smaller fly. Flies I've been chucking are klinkhamers, caddis emergers and adults, BWO spinners (early am) Nymphs, stones, hares ear, prince, copper johns size 14 to 8. Thanks for your help. The confidence is taking a knock blanking every time.

I had a couple hard days, but I have also had a couple of stellar days. Size 14 is the largest size hook to use. Even then, you will have much better luck with size 16 and 18. Copper johns seem to ape the mayfly nymph best. There are lots of BWO and trico, but they are small---both the dries and the nymphs have to reflect this. Make sure to let your nymphs swing up at the end of the drift. I have been catching about 20% of my fish on the swing.