Fly Fusion Forums

Poachers?

wongrs

I was fishing at dusk the other day until dark and noticed something real weird which I reported to RAP. I was fishing various flies when a guy across the river started shining a flashlight around as if he was looking for something and real erratic like. After about 5-10 minutes he left and came back about 10 minutes later with someone else. Then the 2 hammered something metal-like for about 2-3 minutes. Then they sat down, turned their white light off and then turned a red light on. It appeared as though they were shining the red light into the water.

Called them into RAP because it looked like they were going to be camping out for a bit. They said they didn't know if they had the people-power to look into it.

Could this be some other activity other than poaching?

Poaching as in spotlighting with dead-lines? sounds like a lot of work for a fish you can't eat. Can't say I know anything about spotlighting but a red light sounds like it would work better then a white light. Yet again, lights, bait, sneaking around seems like some very serious poachers. More likely it was crackheads cooking up some Meth hiding out since they escaped from prison, smashing open a parking meter. lol. Should have called the cops, but you'd have likely gotten the same result.

you seem to find the strangest people. so you can fish with a light that is attached to you hook, line as well i believe but could be wrong, but shining a light directly in to the water gives you an unfair advantage as the light attracts the fish. i've never seen a red light work before, but then again, i've never tried it. banging on something metallic - trapping system or rod holder kind of thing or netting system?

i use red light at night as it does not affect your night vision. if they werent trying to catch fish, maybe there looking to trap nocternal bugs for a university class??/ yeah, i'm reaching.

unless they had a rod or a net in the water, or a trap for mammals without a trapping permit, i'd say they werent poaching... but who knows. where are those night vision goggles when you need them, eh?

playdoh, you CAN eat them, i just wouldnt recommened it below the city. did you see the pictures of the sewage outlet at fish creek - ick.

got any other info?