Fly Fusion Forums

Stomach Pump

I read a few times about these pumps, and I think it might be very helpfull for me. I am not really keened in on all the hatches that are going on, and some of the flies that I have, I don't even remember the name. So if I can have a visual of what buddy down there is actually eating... I think that might really benfit me.

Can anyone tell me a little more about them, how they work, what they cost, wher to get them etc.

Like the other day, I fished for an hour or so, had one hit on a dry. Than switched to a backswimmer, and had 3 fish on on 5 minutes, was really cool. Than the next day...nothing! So it seems that they are getting more and more picky now. I might be wrong.

Thanks!!

Yeah, the typical thing you hear from people is "well that fish ate my fly, so why would I need a pump?"

I pump a few fish every trip usually - I like to see what they're feeding on and how much variety there is in the samples. If done properly it doesn't hurt anything. Brian Chan endorses it - and if it's ok with him, it's ok with me. Often times I'm picking up the odd trout and a quick sample will show me what they're really keying in on.

One of the cool things I've seen with the pump has been the change in diet for trout in the Bow before and after the flood. Caddis larvae have become way more predominant in the samples I've taken.

The essence of flyfishing is understanding the trout's ecosystem. A throat pump is a great way to do that, and it will really help people new to the sport see what they're trying to imitate.

Thanks guys for the input. And thanks for the link MTB! Some good opinions about it, and I don't know where I stand with it. I can see both ways.

As a fisherman, my goal is to try and catch fish, besides being outside and enjoying great scenry and quiet etc. And if this "tool" can assist me with that than I might look up some more info on it, or maybe try to hook up with someone that has experience.

Mike