Fly Fusion Forums

Honey! I Shrank The Midge!

albannachxcuileag

After Tupps excellent little midges, here is a slightly different take on them using Marabou, something I saw featured in a magazine a little while ago.

DSCF0259.jpg

Single Marabou fibre

DSCF0260.jpg

Partridge size 18 dry hook with mono ribbing

DSCF0262.jpg

Size 20 VMC dry

Using a single black marabou fibre as a hackle on these flies it is easy to get the size down, only requirement needed is a gentle touch as it breaks as soon as you look at it when winding on the hackle.

Notice that the hook sizing has nothing to do with reality! The 20 looks to be half the size of the 18 photographed at the same distance from the vice.

so is the body just a little build up of the thread? before or after winding the hackle?

LS,

in the case of the 18, run your thread, catch in the rib, run the thread back and then the rib and tie in the hackle, couple of turns and whip finish.

For the 20, run the thread down then up and then catch in the hackle, 2 turns and whip finish with 3 turns. If you have fine enough wire, I do but was too lazy to use it, you can form a rib.

As Tupps, suggests, you can half tie even these to make your fly even smaller or go to 24/26s if you can see them!