Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Book Suggestions?

birchy

Heading out to Castlegar on Wednesday to visit the wifes family and introduce Noah to them.. planning on doing alot of fishing whilst the girls are going goo goo over the baby.

ALSO planning on reading some more fly fishing books. Books I've already read:

The Freshwater Angler Series.. (the 4 or 5 different books on nymphing, dries, reading the streams, etc.)

The Essential Guide to Fly Fishing by Clive Schaupmeyer (shameless plug)

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide (I'm going to grab the "Ultimate" Guide for sure)

The Wit and Wisdom of Fishing

Any suggestions?

Did you read "Blight Way"? Hey Birchy if you can ever find some Haig-Brown books. The books he wrote for the four seasons have been compiked into one large book called "Seasons of the Fisherman."

Barring that Boblaw is right go light and try some McManus, just don't read it while the wife is trying to sleep.....you end up laughing too much.

I wonder....I haven't stopped in Castlegar too often, if they have a used book shop you might poke around, you are in fishing country you may find a couple of good reads.

Everything by Gierach - esp Sex Death and Flyfishing

All of Jim McLennan's books - esp Flyfishing Western Trout Streams

Active Nymphing by Rich Osthoff (this is my new favorite book)

Thanks boyz!

Did a few searches on the Calgary Public Library's website and they have pretty much all the books you've mentioned! That'll keep me busy for sure!

I'll sell you my copies for $600 each. You save $150! Act now..........

That must be some kind of mistake.

Yeah.. I think Amazon is a bit goofy today.. there were some other books showing up like that too. LOL

"Commonsense Fly Fishing" by Ray Ovington is a great read. Lots of old school, 83' techniques, yet he's not afraid to admit anything. Its more of a intermediate level book, which is why I had to read it 3 times over the past few weeks. He talks lots about where the fish are, and how to work/fly a spot, and beyond generic advice I found. Its only 150 pages but he manages to cover the entire gamut of how to fly fish and catch fish.

The title is indicative of his mood throughout the book. He often dismisses mainstream ideas and asks rhetorical questions your grandfather might have used, like "Are you out to cast? Or catch fish?". Which has the effect of being taught by your Pappy, I found it funny. I haven't read anything else from him but I plan on reading, "Tactics on Trout" 63', and "Freshwater Fishing" 76'. If I can find them that is.

Good to hear the library has all the books mentioned above since there now on my list.

I have Tactics on Trout. The nice thing about the book is that the language comes off from a couple of decades ago but the techniques remain the same. It sure helped me when it comes to reading water!

You are leaving tomorrow Birchy? Drive safe.....Kerry