Fly Fusion Forums

Home From The Coast

ggp

Well I am now back from a super time on Vancouver Island....did a little lake fishing with some friends when I arrived only to find that the lakes had warmed up sufficiently that the fish had gone deep, and I am not one who enjoy's fishing full sinking lines although I did fish a sink tip and managed a few fish....by late July we were all watching the estuary area of my favourite river "intently" for Pink Salmon only to find that the first wave of fish went straight up the river without stopping to say "HELLO"....however, by mid August fish were beginning to show more and we did well, but not as well as previous year's....by mid August Coho were also beginning to show, and were being caught quite regularly from shore as well as from boats....and by September, well all I can say is that the Coho fishing was outstanding both beach fishing and from my little 12ft aluminum boat...many fish from 5 or 6 pounds up to the mid teens were caught....there are some pic's in the photo section under the titles "west coast and more west coast pic's"....now it's time to hit some of the rivers and streams in the southern part of the province....it's good to be home!!

Sounds like you had a great trip. It is beautiful country out there...

I was out on the island just a wee bit early this year (early aug) but still managed to find quite a few pinks. While everyone was fishing the Campbell with minimal luck a buddy and i headed up to the quinsam in search of some cutties. What we ended up finding was a nice pool stacked with pinks. What a thrill it was catching a feisty pink on a river the size of the upper oldman, if that. We spent a couple nights on the fly fish only section of the campbell landing 2 or three per night.

I did try my luck at shore fishing at the mouth of the Oyster for some pinks and possibly some sea run cutties but didnt have much luck.

The last couple rivers we tried were the Elk and the Gold. We had a gread day on the Elk which is a fly fish only river and caught tons of coastal cutties on the dry. What a beatiful river. The Gold is where i found what i was heading out to the island for, steelhead. I know august isnt the best time for hunting steelhead however was the best time for me to get off work. We found ourselves at the first pool and not 3 casts in i had my first ever steelhead on the line. What a thrill. After that not much luck. We found another pool where you could see 4 of them stacked but had no luck hooking up.

All in all it was a great trip. Great weather, cold beer, and enough fish to keep me busy. Back to the bow, which isnt such a bad thing!

Tight Lines