Fly Fusion Forums

Blue Winged Olive Emerger

Tuppsincomprehensible

Tying Materials

The materials detailed below are of course not conclusive. Use whatever materials you may have to hand. Detailed below are my strange personal preferences.

Hook: Fulling Mill AP Light Barbless Size 16

Thread: UTC 70 Hot Orange

Schuck: Light honey hackle tied Swisher And Richards' style

Body: Dubbed using a mixture of 1/2 hares fur, 1/4 natural hares mask and 1/4 yellow dyed hares mask

Wing: Iron blue CDC clipped short

Hackle: Grey blue cock

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the hook in the vice with the point protruding

Emerger1.jpg

Step 2: Catch the hot orange thread and wind back to the back of the hook. you should attempt to get as far behind the point as you can without going around the bend.

Emerger2.jpg

Step 3: Select a light coloured cape. I am using an old light honey cock cape from which all of the best hackles have gone.

Emerger3.jpg

Step 4: Remove a suitable hackle and prepare by removing the downy material at the base of the stalk.

Emerger4.jpg

Step 5: Cut the hackle to shape by trimming away some of the centre fibres to give the shuck end shape. Stroke forward some fibres and grip them between thumb and forefinger. Tie in the hackle by the stalk and fibres that you have stroked forward.

Emerger5.jpg

Step 6: Trim waste end of hackle and position shuck into required place before fixing with turns of thread. In my demonstration I have omitted one half of the swept forward fibres. This is done to keep the shuck in proportion. It was required due to poor selection of hackle.

Emerger6.jpg

Step 7: Body dubbing should be light brown/olive. I like to use some yellow dyed hares mask with natural hares mask and hares body fur again this is not essential.

Emerger7.jpg

Step 8: Upon mixing the dubbing materials twist into a rope and form a body winding quite short of the eye.

Emerger8.jpg

Step 9: Select 3 slate grey CDC feathers and slide them together in your fingers so that all the tips are level with each other.

Emerger9.jpg

Step 10: Tie the 3 feathers into the body to form a wing, clip short and stubby and remove waste front ends.

Emerger10.jpg

Tying continues in part 2

Blue Winged Olive Emerger Part 2

Step 11: Select a hackle from a grey blue cock cape. The fibres should be a little longer than the short wing that you have just tied on the fly.

Emerger11.jpg

Step 12: strip the waste material from the hackle stalk base and tie in to the fly.

Emerger12.jpg

Step 13: Wind a collar hackle with the hackle left sparse.

Emerger13.jpg

Step 14: Tie back any stray hackle fibres and encourage the collar hackle to very gently angle away from the eye of the hook.

Emerger14.jpg

Step 15: Whip finish and varnish the head. Admire or perspire it all depends on the result really. I think that I shall perspire AGAIN!!!

Emerger15.jpg

Emerger16.jpg

In my experience, limited as it is with BWO's. There are usually so many on the water that it is sometimes amazing that the fish pick yours out from the others. Is that the reason for the orange thread? I like the fly just curious about the colour as well.

Even fished dry the fly wil take in water. When the mixture of hares mask fur gets wet the whole fly changes colour. Use black and the fur turns really dark. use olive and you get pretty much the same effect but a different shade. Using orange seems to provide a half decent representation of colour of the actual insect.