Fly Fusion Forums

Stinger Hook Vs Fish Mortality

I read the post in the fly tying bench and would like to pose the following question;

I have hooked a couple big fish on some of my streamers with stingers, what I found was that if the fish only takes the stinger there is a tendancy for the main hook to wrap around the side and re hook the fish in most cases in the eye area or head. I have witnessed a couple fish get some extra un needed damage in one case the bully probably never made it. I stopped tieing the 7" to 10" big boys for this reason, I didnt enjoy seeing this extra injury to the fish.

Am I missing something or is this not a big deal? Or is there a way of tieing to prevent this?

I read the post in the fly tying bench and would like to pose the following question;

I have hooked a couple big fish on some of my streamers with stingers, what I found was that if the fish only takes the stinger there is a tendancy for the main hook to wrap around the side and re hook the fish in most cases in the eye area or head. I have witnessed a couple fish get some extra un needed damage in one case the bully probably never made it. I stopped tieing the 7" to 10" big boys for this reason, I didnt enjoy seeing this extra injury to the fish.

Am I missing something or is this not a big deal? Or is there a way of tieing to prevent this?

The ones I use and have tied which you are referring to only have the one trailing hook, and no front hook. most fish i think attack the fish from behind anyways eliminating the need for a front hook..(could be wrong).

Mudflap,

I use stingers quite a bit and my experience is that the longer your trailing stingers the more likely you are to see the (one or the) other hook getting fouled in the mix. Largely this is happening because during the thrash of the hookup or the subsequent run your fish is twisting into the other hook. You might try shortening your stinger and using 30 lb test as the stringer attachment which makes it stiffer and less likely to twist into the fish as easily. I think the advice given earlier though is best, if you can cut of the front hook, go for it.

-al

I think most of us who are tying large patterns with stingers are heading to single barbless hook waters in BC, so the front hook is cut at the bend leaving just the shank, and no chance of unnecessarily harming a fish with a second hook. From what I've read a single rear hook is just fine for salmon and trout. Pike fishing may be a different story, as they often hit from the side.

I think most of us who are tying large patterns with stingers are heading to single barbless hook waters in BC, so the front hook is cut at the bend leaving just the shank, and no chance of unnecessarily harming a fish with a second hook. From what I've read a single rear hook is just fine for salmon and trout. Pike fishing may be a different story, as they often hit from the side.

A single trailer works just fine for shuswap rainbows and Gerrard's as well if your imitating kokanee or smolts as they tend to strike them from behind (in my experience anyhow).

-al