Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying? 2012 Edition.

jordo

I've tied a version of the peeking caddis with a bead head, Pheasant tail and some antron hanging out the back, then you use a lighter to melt the antron and make a little black head, super easy to tie, but the recipe I was using said to tie them on #10 hooks (if I remember right), they seem huge? Any thoughts on the size? I think the book said it was a Lefty Kreh pattern.

Thanks for the nice comment, I have been in aw over the Roy Bergman set of classic wets. I have lot of tying to do over the course of the winter. I'm thinking of going over to a local, year round fishery to give them a try tomorrow. I will post a thread in the central Alberta section of this board.

The quality of the picture does not give it any justice, my hands are too shaky for the Iphone in the past couple days.

Do you have the book "Trout" by Bergman? It's his definitive work on wet flies.

I don't have his book, though Hatches has a great selection of his flies tied by Don Bastian. Great ties for sure. I can see his book in my book shelf in the near future though. Is it sold locally?

I got my unread 1976 vintage 6th Edition of 'Trout' on Ebay for $6.00 a few months ago. Before doing that, I looked in the local shops, as there is quite a recent reprint from 2000. I could not find one locally at that time.

My '76 edition has all the artwork of the wet flies that appeared in earlier editions, and I am sure some of the pages of artwork is from the original 1938 edition. The artwork, cutting edge and astounding at the time, is not quite as clear and concise what as we are used to today.

I have not seen the fly artwork in the most recent 2000 Edition, so I cannot comment. Regardless, it is a fabulous book and a great read. Ray Bergman's research and experience, starting as a young fly fisherman during WW1, and progressing to the mid 1930's and beyond, is still valid today.

Along with Joe Brooks 'Trout Fishing' from 1972, this book never fails to astound me. Ray Bergman, who died in 1967, was years ahead of his time. Read it now in 2012, and you can see how far!

• Like 1

I got my unread 1976 vintage 6th Edition of 'Trout' on Ebay for $6.00 a few months ago. Before doing that, I looked in the local shops, as there is quite a recent reprint from 2000. I could not find one locally at that time.

My '76 edition has all the artwork of the wet flies that appeared in earlier editions, and I am sure some of the pages of artwork is from the original 1938 edition. The artwork, cutting edge and astounding at the time, is not quite as clear and concise what as we are used to today.

I have not seen the fly artwork in the most recent 2000 Edition, so I cannot comment. Regardless, it is a fabulous book and a great read. Ray Bergman's research and experience, starting as a young fly fisherman during WW1, and progressing to the mid 1930's and beyond, is still valid today.

Along with Joe Brooks 'Trout Fishing' from 1972, this book never fails to astound me. Ray Bergman, who died in 1967, was years ahead of his time. Read it now in 2012, and you can see how far!

------------------------

It's a good time to pick up that book. You can still find it for a modest price condiderting its age (under $50). I notice that the odd pristine first edition copy are starting to go for over $200. Couple of years ago I found two signed editions for a very modest cost.

Been getting ready for the streamer season and have been ting some streamers when I get home from work and have some time I will take a couple of photos and post them for all to see. Not the prettiest flies but man do they ever work well.

• Like 1