Fly Fusion Forums

A Cheap And Easy Anchor

I picked up a bunch of these to make my own paramids, well I ended up needing one but no time to melt one down and pour one.

So I decided to just drill a hole thru a 15lbs diving weight an add a 5" long 3/8" bolt then welded a 6" drag chain.

"WOW" It worked just as good if not better than a paramid and has yet to get stuck.

Just need to paint it Red add a bright colored rope that floats so if it does get stuck hopefuly it can be removed.

Losing an anchor is not a good thing but what realy bothers me is I am leaving lead in a river.

post-1844-1348498210.jpg

I picked up a bunch of these to make my own paramids, well I ended up needing one but no time to melt one down and pour one.

So I decided to just drill a hole thru a 15lbs diving weight an add a 5" long 3/8" bolt then welded a 6" drag chain.

"WOW" It worked just as good if not better than a paramid and has yet to get stuck.

Just need to paint it Red add a bright colored rope that floats so if it does get stuck hopefuly it can be removed.

Losing an anchor is not a good thing but what realy bothers me is I am leaving lead in a river.

Go one step further and cover it in tin and you will not leave lead in the river

Won't the tin just rust away in a few years, exposing the lead? How come so few people use steel anchors? I'm getting a boat this fall, and my experience with anchors is limited to throwing rocks in a bag for my float tube.

Have used one for 5 years now and no rust yet it might be stainless but anchor still weighs 32lb same as when it was new

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

what about powdercoating? We (Distinctive Collection) have done lots of work with Calgary Powder Coat, but im not sure how hot the oven gets (might be too hot for the Pb)

what about powdercoating? We (Distinctive Collection) have done lots of work with Calgary Powder Coat, but im not sure how hot the oven gets (might be too hot for the Pb)

depending on the quality of the lead and the alloys in it, it may outgas when baked and this will cause pin holes in your powder coating but it is completely possible.

My reason for painting lead anchors and adding a floating rope is if it has to left hopefully at some point of time the river will be low enough that someone/anyone can unstick it and keep it or come on to the forum and see if someone can claim it.

Not to make it last longer as it will last long after us all just the way it is.

I do not want to add to what has already been left/lost/accidently not secured what ever the reason might be.

I bet there is at least a 1000lbs a year lost/left in the Bow. (works out to be 66 15lbs anchors)