Fly Fusion Forums

Buying My First Fly Setup

RedBeard

Hey All, I'm fairly new to the fly fishing game and I've been using a combination of my grampas vintage set, a broken and returned cabela's combo, and my friends 6wt Sage/Pfluger setup.

I saved up some money and I placed an order for the Sage Vantage combo from Wholesale Sports here in Calgary. They had one in stock (apparently) but they have since misplaced the reel from that combo... But that's a whole other bag of frustration that I'll leave for another post.

Anyways, now I'm in the hunt for a quality setup and I need some help. Could anyone make a recommendation for a setup that would cost me from $300-400 with rod, reel, fly line and backing... and maybe a carrying case too!

I've heard the Lamson Konic, White River Fly, and the Sage 1800 reels are a good bang for your buck.

And I was contemplating a TFO rod as it's easy to get rod replacements.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Any of the shops who sponsor the forum also give discounts on packages and will let you cast and compare them - give yourself an hour at the shop and don't be afraid to ask questions or get some guidance on casting. If you buy a 'deal' from another store without trying it you may end up wanting to replace it because it doesn't fit your style.

The Lamsons can be a good deal - the same drag is used throughout their lines with the main differences being looks and weight.

I hope that you got a deal on the vantage as they are now discontinued and some local shops now have them for 30% off. As others have said, go to a local shop and cast a bunch in your price range. You may be very surprised with what you like. They will also give some advise on what lines match the rod you pick out:)

It wont be the popular choice and people will bemoan it...but....

My first reel was the White River HCII. Super Cheap, like $30. I have dropped it, thrown it, froze it, overheated it, never cleaned it, scratched it, caught large fish, caught small fish and downright abused it. The thing still works like the day I bought it. It is indestructible and cheap. Still have it and use it to this day.

Which means you can spend more money on a better line and Rod. I think these two are more important than the reel (flame away)

Edit* It is heavy, so if you go with something really nice (usually lighter) for rod it will probably throw the balance off.