Fly Fusion Forums

Salt Water Rod Rental

Mudflap

A budy and I are going to Cuba soon, we are wondering about Rod rentals. The spot we are going to is out of the way and do not offer quality Rods or Fly's. The Fly's and leaders are not an issue however we do not want to purchase rods for just one trip. I am taking my 6wt for bones but am looking for a 11 or 12 for larger Tarpon. Has anyone been through this dilemma? Please advise.

Thanks

A budy and I are going to Cuba soon, we are wondering about Rod rentals. The spot we are going to is out of the way and do not offer quality Rods or Fly's. The Fly's and leaders are not an issue however we do not want to purchase rods for just one trip. I am taking my 6wt for bones but am looking for a 11 or 12 for larger Tarpon. Has anyone been through this dilemma? Please advise.

Thanks

6wt will be light for bones - plus you'll be way outgunned if you come across permit. Should have an 8wt on the flats.

Thanks

You should look at mpurchasing your own gear, you can get yourself into some less expensive rods and reels that will do the trick. You should have a 8wt as previously mentioned, your 6wt will under gunned for even casting in the winds down on the flats let alone hooking into a larger bonefish. Maybe if your were going to Belize the 6wt could be brought out as a lightweight/ultralight set up for the smaller bones. But Cuba has a larger average size of bonefish.

Maybe look at a fast action 10wt, that will get you through the permit fishing and smaller tarpon. Personally I would prefer to chase tarpon in the smaller sizes (upto 50-60lbs) as they still fight awesome but won't kick the shite out of you after one fish, you will want to catch a couple more. That is just my opinion though, catching the huge ones would be cool too, but your energy levels can done for the day after one fish if you are able find one.

Believe me, this won't be your one and only trip, you will addicted and will be finding ways to get yourself back into the salt. Spend more on your 8wt as you will be able to use it here for streamer fishing, pike, walleye, bull trout and even carp. A lot of manufacturers like Winston, Sage, Loomis, TFO, Redington, etc offer a budget conscious saltwater capable set ups for you that will cost you a little more than renting. With renting, you will be responsible for warranty claims for breakage and replacing reels if they aren't returned in satisfactory condition (just my experience with renting/borrowing gear)

Hope this helps a little, regardless go have some fun.

Guest NamasteMushroom

If you can, buy two inexpensive 9 wts., and a good machined reel.

That will handle most situations you'll encounter (and a 9-weight is just fine for bones). I've taken Tarpon up to 60lbs., big Cudas, and even 10-15lb Blackfin Tuna on a 9-weight-no problem.