Fly Fusion Forums

What Are Those Fish Eating?

pattonr

for context, I just started fly fishing a few weeks ago. Loving the challenge so far but I can see there is so much to learn!

I was on the Bow river by Southland dog park the last two nights 7:00-9:30 and there were big fish right in front of me about 10m from shore in about 2m of water. Some were just splashing and some were jumping clear out of the water. I didn't see a lot of bugs on the water surface. Should I be putting dry flies out there or are they going for something underwater? Any point in trying bottom nymphs in this situation?

Emergers, Possibly caddis or mayflies...

P

Some were just splashing and some were jumping clear out of the water. I didn't see a lot of bugs on the water surface. Should I be putting dry flies out there or are they going for something underwater?

I agree with peter. Put on a lafontaines sparkle caddis emerger pattern, and stand about 20 feet upstream of the fish, cast downstream and across, and swing the flies by the active feeding area. you should get at least a few pulls, it's worked decently for me. Another tactic to try is forget about the huge indicator and 9ft of line so many people tell you to use all the time on the Bow. Take a small indicator and a couple hare's ears tied 2 and 3ft down the line from the tiny indicator and ride a drag free drift through the pod, should hook up that way too as obviously the fish are not hugging the bottom and I find the depth they tend to suspend at when eating dries is about 2-3ft.

good luck