Fly Fusion Forums

Black Bear And Cub

fishpro

Yesterday my girlfriend and I went for a drive through Banff Park, and on our way back we stopped for lunch at a lookout point, only to notice lots of people taking pictures of something down the hill. We went to look, and there below us was a black bear and her cub feeding on the hill side. As everyone was getting pictures, the cub stayed down lower but the mother came right up the hill and had no fear coming within 10 feet of everyone as she was feeding on the grass. It was an unreal experience, and is probably something I will never have the privilege of seeing again.

101_0074.jpg

101_0075.jpg

101_0076.jpg

101_0078.jpg

Wow , are you all ever " So very Lucky!" !! Awesome experience , yet Dood ... being that close to a Mama..... she was testing you all , no doubt... possibly setting a boundary and or setting anyone up for a bad day .

Wow , congratulations for the experience , really !! To go along with what you mentioned.. " I Personally would never do that again!!!"

And I really don't care to be a nay sayer man , but Wow !!

" Not a smart idea guys!"

Congratulations on the sweet photos , But I am sure glad that it went well .

On the other hand , it also teaches the cubs not to be afraid of man , if Mama gets so close .... Also ,the beginnings of an unfortunate accident may be in the future for them ... as well as a person ... meaning if they do what bears do , well .... we know what happens to them....... Anyhow Sir ... I am very happy that nothing happened.

Sweet Pics !!

Come on guy's, please be careful !!

Gretat pictures!

I've seen more bears this year in the valleys than I've ever seen before. Between a trip to Jasper and another to Panorama, maybe 10? When we were coming back from jasper, therewas a total bear traffic jam. I saw the bear in the grass on the left hand side of the road. A young grizz,being almost chased by a lady with a camera. She could not have been 10 ft away. The bear did not seem to care thankfully. People just forget these are wild animals and the risk they are taking and the risk to the bear if he gets frightened or annoyed and takes a swipe at her. The story in the paper the next day would be about the lady recovering in the hospital and how they had to put the bear down. Everyone please give them their space.

Gretat pictures!

I've seen more bears this year in the valleys than I've ever seen before. Between a trip to Jasper and another to Panorama, maybe 10? When we were coming back from jasper, therewas a total bear traffic jam. I saw the bear in the grass on the left hand side of the road. A young grizz,being almost chased by a lady with a camera. She could not have been 10 ft away. The bear did not seem to care thankfully. People just forget these are wild animals and the risk they are taking and the risk to the bear if he gets frightened or annoyed and takes a swipe at her. The story in the paper the next day would be about the lady recovering in the hospital and how they had to put the bear down. Everyone please give them their space.

I was up in Jasper on the long weekend as well, and also saw this way too many times. Saw six bears on the trip to and from Jasper. Six black bears and two grizzlys. Awesome sight to see, except for the stupid people getting out of their cars, crossing the highway and standing there taking pictures. There was a Park Ranger there for the first grizzly we saw and she thanked us for actually staying in our vehicle, and was actively telling people to get back in their cars.

When its man vs nature....nature wins. Always.

Guest JBear
Gretat pictures!

My last trip to jasper was like that, only there for 2 days, must have seen 6 bears on the road up to the lake. Super cool, but didnt bother getting close like all the other tourists.... :rolleyes:

Seems very selfish, stupid and disrespectful. But WTF, so many human beings in North America have this attitude so why be any different. The wildlife is only present for all of us to enjoy however we please, they are not really important to our over all purpose, Are They??????????????????

Wow , are you all ever " So very Lucky!" !! Awesome experience , yet Dood ... being that close to a Mama..... she was testing you all , no doubt... possibly setting a boundary and or setting anyone up for a bad day .

Wow , congratulations for the experience , really !! To go along with what you mentioned.. " I Personally would never do that again!!!"

And I really don't care to be a nay sayer man , but Wow !!

" Not a smart idea guys!"

Congratulations on the sweet photos , But I am sure glad that it went well .

On the other hand , it also teaches the cubs not to be afraid of man , if Mama gets so close .... Also ,the beginnings of an unfortunate accident may be in the future for them ... as well as a person ... meaning if they do what bears do , well .... we know what happens to them....... Anyhow Sir ... I am very happy that nothing happened.

Sweet Pics !!

Come on guy's, please be careful !!

This reminds me of one of my posts after I'm knee deep in the sauce...

Cool bears bro! Just a blackie though, you can take her!

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly this type of occurence is happening multiple times a day up here.

I gotta say, getting within 10 feet of a mom with a cub is pretty risky, Fishpro, I won't insult you like some chose to, because I suspect you know how risky that was, but I will say there is a pretty fine line between brave and foolish, and that's flirting with the latter !

I just hope everyone reading this clearly understands that, at that distance, outrunning the person beside you isn't going to work, if that bear went defensive/aggressive you wouldn't have time to even lower your camera from your eye before you were on your back getting mauled. The best that's gonna come of it is you'll be the subject of a youtube video that gets a million hits posted by German tourist with his wife screaming in the background.

Oh yeah, nice pics though, and I commend your testicular fortitude, you must walk like a cowboy !

Nice pics. Congrats. Last time I was within 10 feet of a bear was a grizz along the castle r. scared the crap out of me as I slowly moved away while not making eye contact watching the bear slowly move away up a gradient so steep, watching me carefully. I hate bear encounters...scares me everytime ...