Fly Fusion Forums

Complete Noob :)

slivers86

So I picked up a bunch of fly tying items from a long time tyer. Have everything I need, and good quality items as well. Sat down the other night, and tied my first nymph, which turned out alright, even though I tried to hand tie the knot at the end of the fly. I've since bought a whip finisher, and am pretty excited to get back into the basement and tie a few streamers and nymphs.

I just picked up the 'benchside introduction to fly tying' to help me out. Read good reviews on the book, and hope it helps.

Can anyone recommend any easier flies that I could do that are productive this time of year, and into the summer months? I do not want to tie dries this year, until I get the rest down!

Thanks in advance, I will post photo's of my progress soon!

Guest NamasteMushroom
leach2.jpg

leach1.jpg

Here is my first fly. Just a small size 14 leach pattern. Looked like a good spot to start. I think the tail is a bit long, but we'll see what you guys think :)

Critique please :)

In general (and I say that loosely), the tail on a streamer should be shank length.

On curved hooks like this one, tail-fouling isn't as much of an issue, so I usually make the tail double the shank length. I think a little shagginess would go a long way on this fly; maybe a dubbed collar, or a soft hackle.

What exactly do you mean by shagginess? What portion of the fly? the body? Any tips on how to make it shaggier?

Guest NamasteMushroom
What exactly do you mean by shagginess? What portion of the fly? the body? Any tips on how to make it shaggier?

You could tie the flie with a thicker tail.

Personally, I would also tie it shorter (shank length), and on a straight hook. Marabou in general doesn't foul, but you will get short strikes if your tail is too long.

Myth: Fish always eat prey head first.

You could tie the flie with a thicker tail.

Personally, I would also tie it shorter (shank length), and on a straight hook. Marabou in general doesn't foul, but you will get short strikes if your tail is too long.

Myth: Fish always eat prey head first.

Perfect, it had a thicker tail at start, but i read somewhere to use your hands, not scissors to shorten the marabou, and broke a bit too much off.

I'll try a few more later in the week. Work and soding my lawn must come first. :) I'll continue to post my progress in this thread, and welcome all feedback.

thanks guys :)

Has anyone used the book I mentioned?

It's the same book that got me started. Yes I'd recommended it as a first book. Note YouTube has great instructional videos for a variety of flies. Have fun....

It's the same book that got me started. Yes I'd recommended it as a first book. Note YouTube has great instructional videos for a variety of flies. Have fun....

So my order for the beginner book failed, and amazon read sold out when I retried. So I ordered the regular benchside, and put a priority on it. Hopefully it gets here quickly!

I have found many instructional videos on your tube, and am watching them trying to pick up technique quickly.

The guys at Southbow have been helpful too! Sat down there for nearly an hour the other day learning how to use the whip finisher, and BS'n about life, fishing and the bad weather! Good bunch down there, nice to see them as a sponsor on this site :)