Fly Fusion Forums

Might By A Reel Today

well i'm going to throw my 2 cents in for what it is worth - with the us exchange, not much i'd say.

my 3 walmart specials have done me fine for the last 6years, i'm also bad with maintainence so to say they are still in good shape - which they are, is fairly impressive for walmart. 2 have tensioners but no drag, i havent caught a fish large enough to warrant the drag yet but i figure i can palm it if required - used to salmon fish with the OLD knuckle dusters. ouch

basically from my understanding is that in early days of fly fishing, there really weren't any reels, people used line catcher bags and stripped in the line by hand. so no particular need for a reel and we hope we can avoid the speghetti incident ;). that being said, if just trout fishing for your average 18 - 24ish inch fish, the reel is just a place to hold your line, a storage compartment of sorts. reel in the line or strip in the line - have done both and landed the fish both ways. not sure i understand the reason to spend $200 on a reel only. i spend it on fly tying materials in stead. lol

however, if you are saltwater fishing for marlin using a fly, you may want a fairly skukum reel with some serious drag ability and then worth the cash.