Fly Fusion Forums

Harvest An Unlimited Number Of Brookies, Legally

Nice work Taco. I needed to get up early and finish the chores before work....gotta wrap a few things up before a few days fishing next week. Couple Q's:

1. 1.5 hrs walk...assuming you walk an average pace and not super fast (like a particular fisheries biologist ;) ) does that get a person above Corral?

2. I've been assuming you're swimming the Minnow as a streamer across or against the current mostly but I should've asked....are you fishing it as a streamer or dry (or both)? I've heard that the traditional Muddler is too sparse to fish dry but a friend of mine fishes the modern version with the fuzzy/dense head as a dry with good success...odd as it seems.

I hope to visit the creek next week to round out my 100 brookies de Willow goal for 2012...maybe I'll see you there.

Robert

Robert,

Corral is about 4k in by the old road, takes me about an hr roughly. I believe the biologist in question could do it in 45-50 provided he had a rock in his damn shoe. I walked in another 1 1/2k. The brook/cutt balance up Willow that far seems to be more like 75/25. When I catch some time I need to do the same thing up Corral.

The muddler.. I float it until it sinks then I dead drift it, swing it, skip it up stream, let it drop into log jams or root balls and swim it up and back. Doesn't seem to matter much. Make 3-4 passes and nothing happens..move on. Been usin' mostly standard muddlers sz10 or 12, about 5' of furled leader and 2'-3' of 3x fluorocarbon tippet, floating line on an old 8' 5wt fiberglass Phillipson. Old school kinda stuff.

Robert,

Corral is about 4k in by the old road, takes me about an hr roughly. I believe the biologist in question could do it in 45-50 provided he had a rock in his damn shoe. I walked in another 1 1/2k. The brook/cutt balance up Willow that far seems to be more like 75/25. When I catch some time I need to do the same thing up Corral.

The muddler.. I float it until it sinks then I dead drift it, swing it, skip it up stream, let it drop into log jams or root balls and swim it up and back. Doesn't seem to matter much. Make 3-4 passes and nothing happens..move on. Been usin' mostly standard muddlers sz10 or 12, about 5' of furled leader and 2'-3' of 3x fluorocarbon tippet, floating line on an old 8' 5wt fiberglass Phillipson. Old school kinda stuff.

ROFL....takes me 30-40 to walk to 532 from the place where the culvert crosses the main trail.....takes him 20....all these long time biologists move like antelope through the bush.

Thanks for the notes on the Minnow. I think Harps and I are going to check this creek out next week. Harps you up for a walk?

The other setup that was working really well at Willow was a small dry fly like a caddis or something bright and a dropper prince nymph about 1-2 feet below. The pools are getting much shallower now. The fish usually take the nymph during the day and the dry at dusk or pools with good shade.