Fly Fusion Forums

Advice To Fix Reel Seat

Hi

the top part of my reel seat has become loose.

The rod is a custom built z-axis, so I dont want to do anything to ruin the rod.

Can I use superglue/araldite to stick the reel seat back into the cork or is this a bad idea?

thanks

thanks guys,

I thought it should be that simple, but wanted to double check.

cheers

done a few of these myself over the years , easy fix , what i do is take some rough sand paper and rough up the blank where the reel seat slides onto , i also roll the sand paper and try to get into the reel seat as far as you can go , this just helps the epoxy get a good hold , i like 5 min epoxy myself

'''double and double make sure you have that reel seat inline with the guides''' , little trick is put the reel on and slide reel seat on to get it perfect , take a black marker and mark the reel seat and mark the cork , then add the glue

so when you slide it back on it's in the right spot , off even a little bit and it will drive ya crazy on the water , pretty simple fix

I would take a small file or a scriber if you have one and rough up the outside of front hood of the reel seat, make some good scratches in it, that way the epoxy has some rough edges to bond to, not just a smooth surface it will eventually pop off of again. Put some epoxy inside the cork handle where the front hood will sit, sqish it in there and make sure its all lined up. Any excess epoxy should be cleaned up with de natured alcohol.

Do this and it should look just like it did before, and it will last a heck of a lot longer.