Fly Fusion Forums

Type Of Action To Give Some Flies

wheels

Hello again. I'm looking for some insight on what type of action/presentation I should be using for leeches as well as clouser minnows. Do I just cast, let them sink for a couple seconds and then start stripping them in slowing? What adjustments do you make when it comes to faster currents? Do you pull them in against the current? Thanks in advance.

im definatly not a pro, but u can swing with no strip or with strips. cast upstream/across and strip it back to u. using a leech u can dredge it along the bottom where the leeches are... hell u could even use and indicator and dead drift if u wanted.. its all up to the fish i guess. try different things and let the fish decide what it wants to eat.

I am no pro either, but take a look at what you are using and figure out how it moves normally. That is not to say you do not give it different movement at times, but minnows swim with/across and against the currant. Leeches tend to move very slowly etc. So start there and improvise a bit if the situation warrants. This question should get a few pieces of advise I would think.

I have found that the best bet is experimentation. Some days they want it quick, some days slow.

In any case, here's how to learn to fish streamers:

1. Tie up a dozen clousers or whatever other streamers you like.

2. Leave all nymphs and dries in car. Take rod, heavy-ish tippet, lots of split shot, and clousers.

3. Pray to fish gods.

4. Fish streamers all day in different types of water and with different techniques. Really pay attention.

If the fly isn't getting down, add weight. Most of the time you want to feel the bottom. If you're hanging up all the time, take some off. There is a lot to be said for fishing streamers in shallow water, but most of the time you want to have that fly swimming in and around the rocks just like a normal minnow would.

Try fishing up and across, down and across, and straight up and down. Fish the streamers in the pockets, along the shelves and seams, and especially tight to the banks where there's lots of fishy cover. You can fish a tight line, you can dead drift, or you can cast upstream a bit and throw a big downstream mend and let the fly swing on on the loop.

If you're fishing a floating line, consider running straight tippet from line to fly. The heavy butt of a tapered leader won't knife through the water like straight 8 or 10 pound Trilene will. This time of year you can easily fish streamers with a floating line and 9' leader. I prefer fast sinktips for higher water situations, but they aren't necessary right now.

Jim McLennan has some excellent articles out there on streamer fishing - but nothing beats time spent on the water figuring it out for yourself.

And, by far most importantly, do not forget step 3.

rusty's got it on point...streamers are weird the traditional or standard methods like down and across swing or stripping. there are some times a certain stip can be effective but its more or like..."please can it be a streamer day " when u rig up...only thing i really got too add is you are generally fishing for active fish or fish looking for a larger meal and those fish eat less during the 24 day/night cycle compared too bug eaters.

How you fish a streamer really depends on the water your fishing at the time and whether your fishing from a boat or wading. If your in a boat you are casting to shore usually just ahead of perpendicular to yourself and stripping speed is dependent on water depth and speed of current (shallow and clear generally means longer casts,longer leaders and quicker strips,faster deeper water generally means slower strips as the current will impart lots of action to the fly)Try to keep the fly as close to the dropoff for as long as possible as this is where most of action will happen. If your wading you should start at the top of a run and work your way downstream swinging the fly as you go, again the current will impart most of the action to the fly until it gets below you at which point you may strip the fly back towards you before you cast again In faster deeper water a cast slightly upstream of perpendicular will allow the fly to get down to where the fish are(a few mends may be necessary) Don't forget to fish the water close to shore before you wade in as especially in the A.M. as there often fish lurking in the shallows. Keep in mind what it really gets down to is line control if you cant feel the fly you wont feel the takes! No feel No fish