Fly Fusion Forums

Bc Bound

Headed to the Vancouver area for work for the next month or so, does anybody have any recommendations of places to go for some good fishing nearby, or websites I can look up more info on? The Pitt river looks nice for a guided trip, but is a bit expensive.

Also, I'm looking for a store that carries aluminum rod tubes, anybody have ideas? The new Deer Creek spey rod I picked up is nice, but probably wouldn't survive the trip in one of the flimsy plastic ones if I have to ship or fly it.

There should be alot of places to try out and lots of information down there as well. Freds' Custom Tackle is in Chilliwack so out of Vancouver a bit but on the Vedder River . Give them a call or check out their website. If you check out sporting goods stores or flyshops in the Vancouver area you should find more help....

If your looking for a guided trip, and something different, the Sturgeon fishing can be epic this time of year for monsters up to 10 feet long. It will blow your mind!

around Vancouver, you have the capilano, and the seymour. further out is the Squamish, Mamquam, Stave, Harrison and the Vedder (chilliwack). Expect crowds. fishing after a fresh rainfall can be great. look for water that has recently risen from rains as fish will move up the systems then hold up in the pools as the water recedes.

Freds, Harrison bay tackle, would be two places to start.

http://www.harrisonbay.com/

http://www.freds-bc.com/

Reaction Fly and Tackle is right at the freeway (we only have one) by the Whatcom Road exit in Abbotsford. Best store in the Valley.

Coho will be running real soon in the Vedder/Chilliwack (there are some already), but that river is a gong show.

The Skagit is open until October 31 - bring big flies for the Bulls, and BWO's down to #24 for the rainbows. An October Caddis is often worthwhile as well.

The Harrison should be decent for Coho and Chum, but you pretty well need a boat. Cutthroat will be mixed in there too.

Bulls are running on the Squamish.

There are Summer Run Steelhead in the Coquihalla, but its only open until Oct 15.

Plus there are lots of little creeks to explore if you want to take the time.

Just got back from 3 weeks in Chilliwack and on the island. The Fraser has some nice coho coming in, as I got a bright 10 lb fish while trying for pinks near Chilliwack. That was on the 25th. If you have enough time to get over to the island for a couple of days, the beach fishing around Campbell River was picking up for coho when I left on the 24th. Everywhere on the lower mainland will be busy compared to what even the Bow is like, but you can find some space midweek.