Fly Fusion Forums

Mentoring The Youth

Dxh

Hello everyone.

My names Matt. This is my third summer fly fishing the bow. Actually third year fly fishing at all. After three years I've learned a lot from this site, from youtube, friends off the site and from random people i meet on the river every weekend. Allthough im certain i have so much to learn about fly fishing as a hobby and an art, i feel i have the general idea of the sport.

I met a girl who grew up near lakes and boats and loves fishing. She is more than willing to learn how to fly fish. She's bought her first fly rod, ( a 5wt tfo) and is waiting until next paycheck to buy waders. I've taken her out probably a dozen times so far. I think in total I've proably caught 3 fish trying to show her the ropes. I'm terrified she will get bored with the lack of action. Obviously i am not the best teacher. Not sure what im doing wrong. Dont get me wrong, the past few years I've had my days. 6-8 fish to net within 4 hours. But more often than not i seem to get skunked. I am certainly not lazy, as ive hiked as much as 9km one way to find the part of the river that is "untouched" by the public. Always wanting to find the honey pot nobody else knows about. Its more than disapointing to walk for more than an hour to get to "your" spot only to find 3 other people wading in the hole. Its frustrating.

I have read posts from some of the other members here, catching 3-18 fish per outing. Some seem to do a lot better than others. ... Not sure if thats the full truth or just good fish stories.

I am trying my very best to not turn her off of the sport. She hasnt had the chance to hook into a single fish yet. I want to show her how great it can be to set into a 26" brown and hear that whirrrrrr we all love. Shes more than willing to learn, but not being experienced enough myself, im looking for a mentor to show her (us) the ropes. Perhaps the best solution is to rent a guide for the day?

I'm looking for any tips or help that i can get. Maybe a guided float is the answer, or a guided walk and wade to keep her interest tweaked.... I need some help. Thanks in advance.

- Matt

Guest JBear

The guided float is a really good idea, She'll get a great casting lesson, along with hooking into a fish or two. Otherwise, if you just want to get a fish on the end of her line, i'd head to some creeks west of calgary (cataract-creeks like that etc.) where the brookies are just so plentiful, you cant not catch any fish. (although this isn't until july-august time frame)

Thats the best advice i can give you!

Hopefully it works out!

J

x2 with JBear. I had the same issue with getting my father in-law interested. I found it best to give some lessons on dry land then start off on easier waters where it was easier for him to hook into fish. Starting off on the Bow, even for an experienced angler, can be challenging and frustrating. Also, having one half of a couple teach the other half can sometimes end badly. A private lesson or class for her would probably be the best way to go....

Also, having one half of a couple teach the other half can sometimes end badly. A private lesson or class for her would probably be the best way to go....

Hey Matt, long time no hear...

You being terrified of her getting bored isn't a great start. I remember trying to teach ex's how to drive a stick - doesn't usually end well, expectations are different and frustrations can ensue.

Casting and fishing lessons are great on land, and on a river, they generally spend more time trying to hook a fish rather than learning.

I would never want to teach my partner to fly fish. There are better people who can help and divorce is expensive.

If your both wanting a little Bow River tune up talk to Max or one of the other sponsors here about doing a guided walk & wade. http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=17195

Both of you will learn more in that time than you would learn on your own. It certainly reduces the learning curve and makes it more enjoyable.

Andrew

Maayyyybeee... I should have read that before I hit post :angel:smail:

HAH.... good one. I laughed out loud. Hey nice to hear from you Robert. It has been a while. I actually lost my phone in the river without backing it up and lost all of my contacts. Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I've been bombarded with PM's from people inviting me and Stacey (girlfriend) out for walk and wades and floats. Thanks guys, what a great community. I appreciate all of the feedback immensely. She either will enjoy the sport for what it is, or not and its not for her. It's just been great to enjoy a passion for something with someone you care for. Thanks again guys and gals.

Rob, lets get out sometime soon, I'll send you a PM.