Fly Fusion Forums

Whats The Deal?

MonsterEnergy

So whats with the spey dudes on the bow? Is it worth spey fishing? seems just like a way for the ballarinas to spin there line <--poke--<

Anyways i want to get in on the action it looks like theyre having fun nothing having to dip there hands in the water and just having 2 hands on the rod!

Whats a good full setup in 8-10wt for around 200-300 bucks? Hit me up i want to get something decent no plastic crap

A line is going to cost you around $100. You aren't going to get anything decent for 200-300. My last spey setup was on the cheap and it was still around $650. when all said and done. Maybe you'll get lucky and find something but most used spey rods are at least $200.

• 3 weeks later...

Drop by South Bow over the week-end and get first hand on the costs and the technique...

C

So whats with the spey dudes on the bow? Is it worth spey fishing? seems just like a way for the ballarinas to spin there line <--poke--<

Anyways i want to get in on the action it looks like theyre having fun nothing having to dip there hands in the water and just having 2 hands on the rod!

Whats a good full setup in 8-10wt for around 200-300 bucks? Hit me up i want to get something decent no plastic crap

You`ll be waaay over-gunned fishing the Bow with spey rods in the 8-10 weight range . I fish the Skeena tribs every year for steelhead , and mostly go with 7/8 weight set-ups . I also fish the Thompson for trout with an 11 foot 3/4 weight Amundson , or a 12 foot Anderson 3 weight . Tons of fun .

I know the average Bow trout is larger than the average T trout , but I`ve caught fish to about 6 lbs on both of these rods with no issues .

There are a lot of good light weight spey and switch rods available that won`t break the bank , and line choices and availability keep getting better . I prefer compact scandi heads , but I also use a single hand skagit head if I want to throw weighted sculpins etc .