Fly Fusion Forums

Midges & Ants

Gil

I've been trying to get ready for some small stream stuff this summer. Midges and ants. Note: the ant was made with gorilla glue mixed with water which creates a foam.

#22 black midge adult (extra fine silver wire, peacock hurl on a black thread body)

IMG_0788.jpg

#16 black ant

IMG_0789.jpg

I've been trying to get ready for some small stream stuff this summer. Midges and ants.

The midge is my smallest parachute I've ever tied. Ended up easier and faster than I thought.

Note: the ant was made with gorilla glue mixed with water which creates a foam.

#22 black midge adult (extra fine silver wire, peacock hurl on a black thread body)

IMG_0788.jpg

#16 black ant

IMG_0789.jpg

Just a thought, is gorilla glue toxic? Something to keep in mind when experimenting with new materials.

Why have you heard something? Like most retail chemicals there is essentially no information.

Why have you heard something? Like most retail chemicals there is essentially no information.

No I haven't heard anything but I know some glues are not the healthiest items around. My comment/question is more food for thought than anything else. This can apply to anything we use to tie with really. The current issue of FlyTyer has an article on the subject on how healthy tying materials but it is more aimed at human health, but one miight also wonder how it affects fish caught and released too.

No I haven't heard anything but I know some glues are not the healthiest items around. My comment/question is more food for thought than anything else. This can apply to anything we use to tie with really. The current issue of FlyTyer has an article on the subject on how healthy tying materials but it is more aimed at human health, but one miight also wonder how it affects fish caught and released too.

No way of knowing however there is no organic solvent and no smell at all....

Does the gorrilla glue dry black like that or did you paint or colour with a marker after they dried. The ants looks great!

It dries white. Use a magic marker and it comes out glossy....

I've been trying to get ready for some small stream stuff this summer. Midges and ants. Note: the ant was made with gorilla glue mixed with water which creates a foam.

IMG_0788.jpg

#16 black ant

IMG_0789.jpg

Hey nice ties, like the midge, do you think the ant will float?

Nice ties.. those look killer! As for the Gorilla glue there should be a number on the bottle to call and get the specs of it. Most manufacturers put a contact number or email for questions and concerns.

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking flies! Thanks.

But geez guys, it's a glue and a lot of adhesives have nasty stuff in them. Remember, it is the dose that matters. MSDS sheets are to be used with a grain of table salt ... also highly toxic.

Here is the MSDS for caffiene. Sure it is lab grade, but this just emphasizes the point: it is all about dosage. Some notable quotes:

Caffiene ... May be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed thru the skin Avoid all contact. ... Overexposure by ingestion may result in nervousness, tremors, and insomnia, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, incoordination, slowed reaction time, slurred speech, giddiness, and unconsciousness.

That might explain difficulties hooking fish some days, eh? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Great ant pattern! I’ll have to try it.

Regarding Toxicity.... Polyurethane adhesives use MDI (Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate) to complete the cure. Among others, this is the little McNasty that you need to be aware of. In a moisture cure polyurethane it will typically outgas while the glue cures. So as the bottle says, use in a well ventilated area.