Hook Eyes

Flytyer

Which is the better hook eye?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of hook eye is best?

• upturned eye
    • downturned eye
    • straight eye

interesting thought for contemplation. i use a lot of dries but i like my streamers too. it just depends on the application. i dont have a problem with straights for wet flies but i find the straights and turned up easier to tie off when i'm done. that would be because i sometimes have spacing issues with turned down hooks even though i fish dries mostly.

A lot depends on the gape and bend of the hook for my selection of eye, the majority I tie are on down eye because if you are fishing wets then the take anchors the fly more firmly. On dries, I prefer straight eyed hooks as the take is horizontal to the axis of fishing. There was a recent article about hook penetration compared to the hook eye and also to the shank length that went into great detail with hook geometry - more than I needed to know! If the fish takes and stays on, then it is the right hook and eye combination!

AC where did you find this article? ....sounds like it could very interesting

I have just spent the better part of the morning looking for the article and have had no luck so far. It was one of those idle moments where you start clicking links in one page and end up miles from where you started but I remember this article was very well illustrated showing the tippet / eye / hooking point relationship of different styled hooks. It went into depth about the speed of penetration of the hook and it's ability to retain the fish also it showed that certain popular styles of hook used by fly anglers had very poor hooking rates as opposed to others. One thing I do remember well is the section on circle hooks and how the 'strike' is not necessary for them due to their extreme geometry and the action of the fish in turning.

I'll keep looking!