Fly Fusion Forums

Len Thompson Collectables

Pipestoneflyguy

A Friend from Banff is moving and he asked if I wanted to buy some old fishing gear off of him - anyway I find this stuff interesting, and although I rarely spin cast I couldn't resist grabbing a bunch of Len Thompson lure display cards for my den wall.

My Friend John's Father was Jack MacAulay who was one of the "notorious" MacAulay twins From Banff. He owned a shop called Mac's Sport Shop which was in business from 1960 to 1985. Since the store closed, John has had a closet stuffed full of various items that for various reasons he decided to hang onto. Last year I bought a collection of very cool vintage hand made snowshoes from John and now that he is moving many other goodies were offered up to his friends. I managed to pick up a collection of Len Thompson display cards. I Immediately thought them collectable as these are the ones that have fishing tips hidden behind each lure on the card of 12. I'm not sure exactly what year these came from but I can guess late 70's or early 80's. The cards have typical discolouring for the age but I was quite surprised to find the lures in immaculate condition. John mentioned that he remembered Len Thompson delivering his wares right out of the trunk of his car when he was a kid.

Anyway I thought it would be nice to share a couple photos with the FFC and as I mentioned in the Streamwatch section I will be donating a card to the streamwatch auction this year, so if you are a lure collector you'll have a chance to grab one of these.

Len2.jpg

Len1.jpg

Len3.jpg

Wow...very, very nice. I am fortunate enough to own some of those lures individually, purchased from a gas-station in Spruce Grove that sold fishing tackle when it went out of business about 5 years ago, but to see two immaculate, complete cards...that is a real treat. If you do not post this on the AO forums, I will have to link this for one of the members, who, like myself, collects vintage tackle....and I suspect that he has the fundage to make that streamwatch auction extra interesting.