Fly Fusion Forums

Weighted Seal's Fur Nymph (part 2)

albannachxcuileag

You have just come from Here

DSCF0061.jpg

Wind your wire rib in the opposite direction to prevent it sinking into the abdomen

DSCF0062.jpg

Secure the wire with a couple of turns and wriggle it to break it off before attaching your hackle

DSCF0063.jpg

Wrap the hackle using 3 or 4 turns over the abdomen and secure with the thread and then cut off the excess

DSCF0064.jpg

Dub black seal's fur onto your thread for the thorax / head

DSCF0065.jpg

Make sure that this is pushed hard up against the hackle and you don't crowd the eye area

DSCF0066.jpg

Whip finish to make a small head and then varnish over the threads and avoid getting goo on the seal's fur

DSCF0067.jpg

Trundle this along with an SFn on the dropper from a floating line at the water of your choice and hope for the best!

so now i actually have a question instead of dorky comment..

why wriggle and break the copper wrap rather than cut. i mean other than to save the edge on the expensive scissors?

i ask only because i have cheap scissors that is only used for cutting wire wrapping but do find the wire difficult to bend down and keep the tag end flush with the hook. would i get the same issue if i break the wire with the tag end sticking up a mm ish

any suggestions? i guess i could use the pliers to flatten it down but i dont want to squish the wire out of shape either.

i ask only because i have cheap scissors that is only used for cutting wire wrapping but do find the wire difficult to bend down and keep the tag end flush with the hook. would i get the same issue if i break the wire with the tag end sticking up a mm ish

Bingo. Grab the end and just move it in small circles and you'll get a nice flush end on the wire.

Good posts - lots of us post flies but few take the time to show how to tie them.

Bingo. Grab the end and just move it in small circles and you'll get a nice flush end on the wire.

Good posts - lots of us post flies but few take the time to show how to tie them.

Rusty,

our forum has a section devoted to this method of display tyings. We get a lot of novices joining and if they see how the fly is constructed, it gives them a better understanding of technique and material.

Scotfly, one of our more experienced tyers has created a section for people who have never tyed before and gets them up and running with a fly right away in one of the most explanatory SBSs ever done. We try to encourage all and improve ourselves by using this system, I should know, I am a crap tyer myself but getting better.

Ladystrange,

any tool used to cut wire will always leave a small stub, the only exception I have found has been a pair of cuticle cutters which have flush cutting edges but the wriggling of the wire is the cheappest and best, remember I am Scottish and like to save a buck or two!

TLs