Fly Fusion Forums

Simple Straggle & Deer Hair Fly

albannachxcuileag

<--------------- I came from here

Cut a smallish tuft of deer hair away from the hide and compare it for length on the fly before trimming the butts square

DSCF0195.jpg

Position this so that it is just a little forwards of the eye, too much and you will block access for finishing the fly

DSCF0196.jpg

Loop your thread over the deer hair and position before making another couple of loose turns of thread

DSCF0197.jpg

Slowly tension the thread while holding onto the wing part, the short fibres will start to flare

DSCF0198.jpg

Continuing tensioning the thread until you get it to flare like this and then put another couple of tight loops over it before the next stage

DSCF0199.jpg

Ease back the short ends and wrap about three turns under the deer hair before finishing of with a whip finish and varnishing the thread

DSCF0201.jpg

Your finished fly should look something like this, you can cut the short stubs up at an angle but this is not really necessary as it is a surface / wake fly and this helps create the disturbance that will attract your fish.

DSCF0202.jpg

Here are a few variations of the same fly in Claret and Olive

DSCF0188.jpg

It reminds me of a CDC and Elk. I'd be up for tying a few to give them a go. I haven't seen any straggle fritz being sold here in Canada yet, but I suppose that you could possibly use some thinned out Tri-Lobal hackle or trimmed down ice chenille.

Looks like a killer.

It reminds me of a CDC and Elk. I'd be up for tying a few to give them a go. I haven't seen any straggle fritz being sold here in Canada yet, but I suppose that you could possibly use some thinned out Tri-Lobal hackle or trimmed down ice chenille.

Looks like a killer.

Darren if I remember right straggle fritz is the name given to it by Dave Downie a tying supply dealer in the UK, it is very close to catus chenille here

Looks like a killer.

If you vary the colour of the straggle and the deer hair, you get a huge range of flies that can imitate a lot of sedge patterns - increase and reduce the size to expand this range even further, swap the straggle for seals fur with a wire rib and the possibilities are endless.

TLs

that's just awesome. i like simple flies. lol. looks like i have another house sitting tying project. i suspect it will take less time than my beaded flies. ooo, beaded body, with straggle fritz/ice chenielle between the beads...

this could take long than first anticipated.

Have a look at this then!

DSCN1018-1.jpg