Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Line - Need Advice

Toirtis

The fiancee is now getting into fly-fishing, has a nice 5wt rod and reel, and I am wondering what your suggestions are for a good floating line for a novice caster.

I have been looking at the Rio Avid and Mainstream lines, and wondering on thoughts on those (I usually use Rio Gold myself), as well as Rio Trout LT, but if you have some others that you think would make great choices, please let me know.

Price is not a huge factor, but I would prefer perhaps a bit less spendy, as we still need to cough up for some waders, vest, and boots.

x2 on the Rio Gold. I've had a couple of novice guys who have struggled to cast their rods, pick up mine with Rio Gold on it and there is an instant difference in their casting ability. Part of that is the difference in rods but I even noticed a difference when I switched over for the first time to the Rio. Now, getting those novice guys casting better was the easy part. Getting my rod out of their hands at the end of the day is the truly difficult part.

Cheers.

Toirtis,

I have and have used all the lines mentioned, I find the mainstreams are good but don't last. I find the Avid Trout is too head heavy for light dry presentations, and I don't like over lining rods to deal with poor casting habits. The Rio Trout, is one of my favorites but it isn't suitable for indicator setups, I find the tip drops with the indicator rig and the head of the line will shoot past the indicator.

For an overall line, Rio Gold is the way to go. For your lady's line buy her the best quality you can afford, that way she has the easiest transition.

If a huge amount of fishing is going to be indicator rigs, the Rio Indicator taper is rad.