Fly Fusion Forums

They're Heeeeere....well, They Almost Got Here....

don't forget its Asian buddy the Snakehead that has been showing up in Sask.

AND being sold live in Vancouver, which places us nicely in the middle. Snakeheads are so bad that the word has become a pseudonym for the worst kind (most destructive) of invasive species. As in, "In some areas, Carragana has become a real Snakehead."

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

you can buy them here too, a friend has a 14"SH in his tank and it is INCREDIBLE to watch it eat. I would hate to see it in AB water.

you can buy them here too, a friend has a 14"SH in his tank and it is INCREDIBLE to watch it eat. I would hate to see it in AB water.

Yes, but bear in mind that there are multiple species of snakehead (I suspect that your friend has a 'giant' snakehead, as opposed to the northern species), but only the northern snakehead comes anywhere close to posing a threat of invasion anywhere in Canada, and having worked with numerous Channa species, I would highly doubt that any snakehead could survive a winter anywhere outside of a couple of areas in southern Ontario, and possibly southern BC.