Fly Fusion Forums

Truform Mayflies

Mitchell0724

These look like a great idea if they sat upwards instead of sideways, has anyone tried them?

02a5631f.jpg

I made one and it does sit upright for a bit but then tips over as with most flies I tie. This is because I am out of decent hackle and am stuck with the 1" long ones from my first tying kit. Fashion do you see what you have done! :backaway::crybaby:

These look like a great idea if they sat upwards instead of sideways, has anyone tried them?

02a5631f.jpg

I made one and it does sit upright for a bit but then tips over as with most flies I tie. This is because I am out of decent hackle and am stuck with the 1" long ones from my first tying kit. Fashion do you see what you have done! :backaway::crybaby:

Fashion tied your fly?

Fashion tied your fly?

Haha no, fashion decided to start using hackles as stuff to put in your hair which in turn put the price way up to the point I'm not willing to buy them. You wouldn't believe my high school, probably 30% of the girls put a couple feathers in their hair. Notre Dame consists of approximately 1350 students in grades 10 – 12. Thats 405 hackles gone. That's about 1215 flies gone if you were to make three for every feather. Keep in mind they all probably have a few different colors and that's just one school.

Beefing up the tail a bit will also help.

The tail wasn't really the problem it was that the fly wanted to tip side ways. But you did give me an idea, if I were to split the tails like a real mayfly maybe it would be more sturdy and not tip over. Also I could try to add another hackle but it might turn into a sloppy mess. I'll post Pics of the finished product soon.

Now that I look at the pic closer the tails are split. If anyone was under the impression I tied that fly I didn't lol. Just making sure