Fly Fusion Forums

Sage One

Took it out and gave the new ONE a try yesterday. It really did cast with ridiculous ease, been out of the game for a long time and found it quite easy. Im a self taught hack and have developed a few bad habits over the last 13/14 years simply because Ive never been shown or taught how to properly cast a fly rod. It really felt easy yesterday with the new Sage One. Managed to land a fish on it as well :)! Cant say for sure what is up with it but after being out for so long I think the rod had something to do with how easy and effortless it felt.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a One 890-4 for saltwater use and maybe for very large bull trout. I used this Fall in Florida, the fishing was terrible as a severe cold front had just rolled in. The only thing i could do was keep trying and trying which really means casting for 8 or ten hours a day towards mangrove shorelines. This particular rod is so light and powerful that it made all this casting practice an absolute pleasure!

The setup: Sage One 890-4 with a 4280 reel loaded with a Rio saltwater F/I 8 wt. line...

Chucked a 9' 5 wt at the show. Nice stick, except I HATE the narrow cork!! Was told that that's the trend now-a-days as the fastest segment of the industry is the growing female market (info was given not by the sage folks)... Also chucked the 9' 5 wt Helios (both tip flex and mid flex - mid flex worked best for me). Nice stick, as well and has a normal cork but is a tad more expensive then the one...

Hmmm.... If I were to buy, not sure at this point which one I'd go with...

P

P.S. Also chucked the new Loop and the BVK... HATED the BVK, seemed tip heavy with my Bauer, but I presume it would cast better with a heavier reel (like the reel that was designed for/with it - the BVK reel - which is MUCH heavier then the Bauer)...