Fly Fusion Forums

Up Eye Salmon Hooks

fishpro

I just picked up some hooks to tie on for a trip up to Northern BC next summer, and the ones I picked up have the turned-up eye on them. I thought they would be good since they're commonly used for tying salmon patterns, but I heard that the straight or down-turned eye hooks can result in better hook ups. Is there any truth to this? Would I be better off getting some hooks that don't have the turned-up eye?

Thanks

I've heard that story too, and personally I think it's a bit of a crock. The only set up that might make a difference is using short shank hooks on tubeflies, intruders etc. Theoretically the short shanks can't be levered out as easily. The majority of my flies are tied on Mustad salmon hooks 36890.

Mike

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

If you tie a small chunk of leader or string onto one of those hooks and latch the hook around a tight string, will it pull parallel or at a slight angle? then try it with the different eye configurations and look at the difference in "working" angle when fighting a fish. This should work its sort of why i use gamu octopus and circle hooks on most of my streamers. but its just my 2c

One of those great things that where conceived over a fine dram of Glenfittich in a fishing lodge.

I just picked up some hooks to tie on for a trip up to Northern BC next summer, and the ones I picked up have the turned-up eye on them. I thought they would be good since they're commonly used for tying salmon patterns, but I heard that the straight or down-turned eye hooks can result in better hook ups. Is there any truth to this? Would I be better off getting some hooks that don't have the turned-up eye?

Thanks