Fly Fusion Forums

Sage One

kentan

Ran into a little problem with Sage, just wondering if anyone has any info or input on the new Sage One.

I just picked some of the ONEs and I was able to fish the 7wt 10' for 3 days last week. I was a huge Z fan, but the ONE is everything they say it is and more. First off they feel remarkably light, the 7100 feels lighter than my Z 4100. Casting the stick is truly effortless, maybe a couple of the guys that tried the stick with me will chime in. I was taken back at how little effort I needed to bust out 60' roll casts even with heavy rigs. I picked the rod up to be my go to streamer stick for the Bow. The grip is interesting and after 15 minutes I didn't notice that I only like cigar grips and I found it stay put in your hand. The cork is some of the nicest Sage has offered in a long time. I would say the rod is most comparable to a XP, but with more power and less weight. I feel the XPs don't deliver in spey casts, where as the ONE always seems to want to shoot more and more line. I found I could forget about casting and focus on fishing... Truly you need to cast one of these sticks to appreciate what Sage did. I was very skeptical that they could DRAMATICLY improve on the Z and Sage did in spades. The rod delivers pin point accuracy at any distance.

My only complaint may be line based but I need to play around with lines on the Ones a bit more. I threw a RIO Gold on the 7100... I should have been casting a sink tip as that's what I want the rod for. I found up to 40' it was hard to feel the rod load but i typically cast lines with heads in the 65'-70' range where as the Rio Gold is only 47' so it is probably my issue and not the rod.

Take what I said with a grain of salt as I am a Sage guy, and when the ONEs came out I was pretty anti ONE. I really didn't think they could improve on the Z..... they did and now I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on more of them

I just picked some of the ONEs and I was able to fish the 7wt 10' for 3 days last week. I was a huge Z fan, but the ONE is everything they say it is and more. First off they feel remarkably light, the 7100 feels lighter than my Z 4100. Casting the stick is truly effortless, maybe a couple of the guys that tried the stick with me will chime in. I was taken back at how little effort I needed to bust out 60' roll casts even with heavy rigs. I picked the rod up to be my go to streamer stick for the Bow. The grip is interesting and after 15 minutes I didn't notice that I only like cigar grips and I found it stay put in your hand. The cork is some of the nicest Sage has offered in a long time. I would say the rod is most comparable to a XP, but with more power and less weight. I feel the XPs don't deliver in spey casts, where as the ONE always seems to want to shoot more and more line. I found I could forget about casting and focus on fishing... Truly you need to cast one of these sticks to appreciate what Sage did. I was very skeptical that they could DRAMATICLY improve on the Z and Sage did in spades. The rod delivers pin point accuracy at any distance.

My only complaint may be line based but I need to play around with lines on the Ones a bit more. I threw a RIO Gold on the 7100... I should have been casting a sink tip as that's what I want the rod for. I found up to 40' it was hard to feel the rod load but i typically cast lines with heads in the 65'-70' range where as the Rio Gold is only 47' so it is probably my issue and not the rod.

Take what I said with a grain of salt as I am a Sage guy, and when the ONEs came out I was pretty anti ONE. I really didn't think they could improve on the Z..... they did and now I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on more of them

You seem to know your stuff man that def helped, thx :)

You seem to know your stuff man that def helped, thx :)

No problem if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. Sage makes it worth my while to stay educated. Once the positive temps come back I am more than happy to let you cast some of the sticks I have at my disposal.

No problem if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. Sage makes it worth my while to stay educated. Once the positive temps come back I am more than happy to let you cast some of the sticks I have at my disposal.

Thx man! I did recieve the TCX that was sent but now have the option to return it for a ONE. I think thats what Im going to do.

i don't know much about this new sage ''One'' rod , haven't even seen the stick ,

lucky me , today i got a new in the tube 9'6 4 piece in a 6 wt coming in the One , they say it's a hell'va nymphing stick ,who really knows as they just coming out so i'm told ,

anyone else have that stick and have opinions , rod should be in my hands in a couple days , then i'll have to decide to keep it or let it go , it was included in on a big trade deal , got me some new old hardys which i'm more excited about then the stick , the hardy's will stay, could be a good boat rod ,

also anyone use the rio nymphing line they make , opinions also please , good or bad

• 3 weeks later...
i don't know much about this new sage ''One'' rod , haven't even seen the stick ,

lucky me , today i got a new in the tube 9'6 4 piece in a 6 wt coming in the One , they say it's a hell'va nymphing stick ,who really knows as they just coming out so i'm told ,

anyone else have that stick and have opinions , rod should be in my hands in a couple days , then i'll have to decide to keep it or let it go , it was included in on a big trade deal , got me some new old hardys which i'm more excited about then the stick , the hardy's will stay, could be a good boat rod ,

also anyone use the rio nymphing line they make , opinions also please , good or bad

My Sage One was delivered to my house yesterday :):):):) honestly its a pretty plain looking stick but is very light 2 7/8 ounce, the cork handle is very small. Just playin with it in my living room it does feel like a very fast rod as well. I like the look of the TCX better but apparently this ONE is supposed to cast beautifully and be more versatile. Beings that I have not fished in a long while hell it might never get used. I didnt buy it cause i wanted to, it's a replacement for an old rod that was broken. If I dont use it it wont break and I wont ever have to deal with Sage again. Been fishing their rods for 17 years, called them once to ask a question about a rod tube and my image of Sage Flyrods was completely shattered, they arent special! I also have a few G Loomis rods as well so I may be looking to sell the ONE, would like to try it out I just dont want to risk having to deal with them ever again.

So they upgraded you to a new rod years after your rod was discontinued, yet you're annoyed with them?

Holy ****. What is this world coming to

Your comment kinda makes me laugh, there is whole story that your not getting here. Just sayin, bold statement for zero knowledge of a situation. I'll give you a smiley face though :)