Fly Fusion Forums

Thompson Steel

Jayhad

So it appears that the test fisheries are steel numbers close to the opening threshold. Myself I haven't fished the T 10 years, I miss the fishery, I miss spences, shoot I even miss taken a tumble on those crazy slick rocks and I miss those steelbows. I really want to fish the T. But I have to ask myself do I want to be responsible for just one.....one fish that I may hook deep, when landing I slip on the rocks and drop a fish or just plain release poorly. There is another side to the arguement; that the more eyes on the river is better for the fishes...... I really don't see Peter Powerbait going to the T to whack a couple steels, when all those easy to floss salmon are just a little ways away.

What are your thoughts....... I hate to say it but I think I'm going to agree with PGK

My thoughts are you aren't all that worried for this fishery, by telling 'Peter Powerbait', or "Joe FFC" that it's close to opening

dude you're right Terry Lake has me as speed dial #2 right after his voice mail, last time we talked he asked me if he should open the fishery, and asked me to keep this on the down low

My thoughts are you aren't all that worried for this fishery, by telling 'Peter Powerbait', or "Joe FFC" that it's close to opening

Ya because the people that are willing to drive that far aren't watching already. If it opens I'll fish it.

Guest Jeremie

Needs to be left alone, its just so fragile. So what if they reach opening numbers, how about maybe getting 2-4 years of opening numbers first. So we actually see some improvement rather then pressuring important fish.

Needs to be left alone, its just so fragile. So what if they reach opening numbers, how about maybe getting 2-4 years of opening numbers first. So we actually see some improvement rather then pressuring important fish.

So you think that sport angling pressure has lead us to the dismal returns on the T......???? Not the dewatering of rearing grounds...poor ocean survival...due to piss poor decisions of openings to commercial fishing (DFO/MOE need to grow a set and get on the same program).....and finally running the gauntlet of fish farms??

I wonder if not fishing in these years of poor returns will have unintended negative consequences down the road. What I mean is I'm sure the powers that be track how many classified waters licenses are sold for the Big T, and if they see less licenses sold that might be percieved to mean there is a decline in interest. I'm sure there are competing special interest groups that could use decreasing numbers of anglers on the river as justification to have earlier and/or longer openings of the commercial fishing seasons on the lower Fraser, resulting in more bycatch. I'm not saying I think that IS the case, just speculating...

Guest Jeremie

No, im not saying that its the only cause. The gill nets are a huge damage and they go through a lot of obstacles. I'd rather see it be left alone for a while, and if the numbers dont return, too bad. If they do that would be great. But fishing for 600 fish where every single fish counts in the spawning is dangerous. Any idiot that accidentally drops a steelhead on the banks, hooks it deep, or whatever could make a difference.