Fly Fusion Forums

Checking Out A Car From The Usa

Mom & Dad's car died last week so they are looking to buy a used vehicle (not sure if through a dealership or private sale, at this point...). Dad and I went out this morning to look at one and it seems to be in pretty good shape (if we get to a point where we will consider purchasing it we will take it to our mechanic, etc.). The guy that is selling it moved up here from Georgia to Windsor, Windsor to Calgary (said his family purchase the car new, etc. in Georgia) - also had all the upgrades needed to bring it into Canada (daytime running lights, miles to kms, etc.). I know there is a way to check out (at least) the registration/ownership in the USA. Can anyone tell me how I have a little bit of info I'm looking at expanding (car fax/car proof?)...

Thanks,

Peter

I just pulled the Carfax report and for the most part it seems ok... A couple of things that stand out. Registered in both Georgia and Windsor which is consistent with what the seller has stated... Then when it details it's registration in Windsor on 08/07/2009, it lists that it passed safety inspection, the correct color, that it has been registered in New York (but then that doesn't show up on the report?! Huh?!), and it also lists the mileage as 40,049 kms. Then it states that between 08/02/2009 & 02/02/2010 the odometer reading was reported with ~9000 LESS Kms (which could be a clerical error, I suspect). We have confirmed that it presently has ~ 50,000... Do you think this is a red flag?! Also says he shipped it out here from Windsor...

Obviously the Alberta registration doesn't show up in this report as he says it was only registered last week (easy enough to check at any registry, plus he has a valid license on the vehicle, etc.)...

P

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

it sounds good to me, i bet some one did the wrong math when going from miles to Km or just a bit of clerical error as you said.

Make sure it's actually registered and just doesn't have an Alberta plate stuck on it. An out-of-province inspection is not cheap. I'm not sure why someone would go through the OOP inspection and turn around and sell the car a week later...

Dale,

I'm still curious about why the report says "Registered in New York"?! Maybe that was where it crossed the boarder?!

And he is selling it b/c he wants something bigger...

P

Make sure it's actually registered and just doesn't have an Alberta plate stuck on it. An out-of-province inspection is not cheap. I'm not sure why someone would go through the OOP inspection and turn around and sell the car a week later...

I would avoid this vehicle, and look for something else. Plenty to choose from in any price range. Don't get stuck with a single offer, keep looking you'll run into something better.

Too many things about this vehicle to be considered somewhat safe.

Few weeks back i looked at a toyota echo that looked dandy until i opened the hood and saw wierd corrosion. After the carfax i found that it was going back and forth through east coast provinces. Was registered over six times, and had wAter damage in the engine compartment, it was saltwater cOrrosion. This was a '07-'08 car.

Reason for selling, wife needs a bigger car...yeah right buddy :)