Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing In The Fall

Alinden

Up until this year I have only really fished in the summer months up until around Sept. Long weekend. However, this year i have been fishing pretty much everyday on the weekends since. Lately I have not been doing as well as I usually do in the summer even though the rivers have way less people.

So have I been unlucky or just not doing the right stuff. If I had to guess it would be that I am not using the right flies or technique. Do fish not take dries the same in the fall?

What kind of fall flies should I be using for the mountain streams? Despite there being lots of hoppers around the fish don't seem interested in mine.

Just looking for some guidance, thanks.

A

the "window" in which fish will look up gets shorter and shorter as the season is cooling off. the fish are eating the more easily available nymphs, and eating them with gusto I might add. For mountain streams you can go wrong with a prince nymph & copper john / bwo kiler / lighting bug / type pattern... under and indicator and set depth to match stream size accordingly. As far as dries go, pretty tough going now I'd imagine.. lots of cool nights lately...

if you insist on hppers or dries, make sure you have a dropper prince or copper john tied under it about 2 to 3 feet, you'll double or triple your fish per day right now.

Cheers :)

like other mentioned for dries terrestrials has bin my go to for my clients the past couple weeks. midges and small mayflies too if we get decent hatches... the hoppers have bin pretty small out west ive bin having luck on smaller ones 3/4" long or so with tiny droppers. fish are moving out of the fast water too and stacking into the winter holes... was out on a 3 day trip with a client last week and we had tuff fishing in the morning there was really a 4-5 hr period were the fishing was good if we covered water and found the holes they stacked up on.