Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River

Heading up the mighty Bow the 2nd week in August this year... finally! It's been a trip I have been wanting to do for a number of years now. I would love it if anyone wouldn't mind sharing any fishing tips, fishing spots, hotel spots, etc... with me that they know of.

What flies have people had luck with that time of year (nymphs, dries, streamers)

What floats are do you guys recommend doing? (we will be up there for 3 days, so 3 different float options could be great especially so we can really see the whole river)

What fly shops do you recommend up there for good quality info?

Anything else you guys think would be helpful for me on my travels up there.

I really appreciate it!

Cheers,

DZ

stop in at southbow fly shop (between McLeod Trail and Deerfoot on dunbow road) or fish tales farther into town on mcleod trail at lake fraser gate area. both are awesome shops that will set you right up for what's working. Float options, day one glenmore to police, day two police to mackinnons day three mackinnons to carselend. you'll see the entire "blue ribbon" stretch. wave if you see a dark green hyde with a first nations lookin fish logo on it... :)

Guest Jeremie

Very small nymphs that time of year (size 14-20). With a good ole san juan worm. Streamers are always a good bet on darker cloudier days. I would float glenmore - police like brian said, then fish creek to mackinnon because i love the stretch of water between fish creek and policemans, worth doing it twice, then i guess mackinnon-carseland if you want to see the whole river, not very experienced with the lower section but have found its much deeper then the rest. And make sure you watch out which channels you go through on that stretch.

If you have any other questions you could PM me, I'm in no means a pro on the bow, but i have caught fish out of it, and know some decent approaches to fishing it. Im sure our very knowledgeable forum will give you their 2 cents.

And stop into fish tales, they are the kind of fly shop you want to be friends with every guy that works there! Very helpful and awesome to talk to.