Fly Fusion Forums

One Last Trip Out On The River For A Bit !

Well as fate would have it , I am off to Saskatchewan for a job that should last until Christmas ! Yeehaw on the year-to-date . Boooo on having to leave this beloved trout stream , and work in Pike infested water's . Nothing against pike , well not too much , as I much prefer salmonids .Yeah I can't go anywhere without packing my gear along with me , so I'm sure i will get hooked up with some "fresh water barracuda". And have been researching streams and lakes around the Battleford's for trout waters . Looks like i will be facing the decision of taking the drive home to get my fix on the Bow every weekend or searching for brown and tiger trout waters.. Has anyone any info they may be willing to share on some areas for Sask trout !? I'm hoping to arm myself with as much info as possible before i head there ! if not , about the pike , ......do we need a steel leader or just go heavy on the leader , or woven etc. TYA... CJ

Well as fate would have it , I am off to Saskatchewan for a job that should last until Christmas ! Yeehaw on the year-to-date . Boooo on having to leave this beloved trout stream , and work in Pike infested water's . Nothing against pike , well not too much , as I much prefer salmonids .Yeah I can't go anywhere without packing my gear along with me , so I'm sure i will get hooked up with some "fresh water barracuda". And have been researching streams and lakes around the Battleford's for trout waters . Looks like i will be facing the decision of taking the drive home to get my fix on the Bow every weekend or searching for brown and tiger trout waters.. Has anyone any info they may be willing to share on some areas for Sask trout !? I'm hoping to arm myself with as much info as possible before i head there ! if not , about the pike , ......do we need a steel leader or just go heavy on the leader , or woven etc. TYA... CJ

Oh, I can see you getting hooked on chuck and duck pretty quick. Nothing like a big pike on a flyrod, just remember to grip your rod tight cause they will make off with it lol. They tend to make short strong bursts of speed.

Big ugly flies is the ticket, surface flies (I use mice and frog patterns) in the wee hours of the morning. Thin steel leaders work well or a strong tippet -their teeth will chop off weak mono. Gets the heart pumping when you see the swirl before the pike hits.

Oh and there are trout lakes in the gap. Give me a shout before you go

Yeah , I was thinking Cypress Hills , yet may as well come here if i'm going to drive that far . Yet will be great to see them , and check out some Elk at the same time , all to make my mouth water , while trying some new spots ..

I have caught a ton of Pike and honestly do not care if I ever handle one again they almost creep me out as bad as Eels , which in my opinion are " the only good eel , is wriggling in the fire"! I think my disgust towards pike , come from a swim at carburn years ago , when i was knee deep in the water and I saw one come up and just hover about ten feet away gawcking at my girlfriend as she was getting in the water ! I truly thought the little guy (20"er) was licking his lips ! ( couldnt blame him) but he definately had something else on his mind than i did! Maybe it was only waiting for some food to be tossed to him , or something . But that was the weirdest thing I saw regarding them . And No we werent feeding them , AND he was just a little guy !! Since then I have felt like "watch your kids" !!! Also , about 13 or 14 yrs ago I was working with a fella in a shop here , and he was telling me about his buddy ...who is rather big ex military bloke , and was an active diver during search and rescue . He was telling me about the time his buddy was at Sylvan lake searching for a body years before , and was in a very deep trench , when a "six foot" pike swam by him . I guess it freaked out his buddy , who you wouldnt think would be easily spooked ( so it mustve been some big for him to say 6' ). ......just sayin'......FreshWater barracuda IMO!! I know and respect that they have there place , as we do . But i would rather bowfish for em !!

Either steel leader material (tied after 15 lb+ with a swivel) or 40 lb mono - I've only used steel!

Question, couldn't one just use a regular (spin casting) 6" - 8" pike leader with a snap swivel at the other end? I would make changing flies a breeze?!

P

Ok steel and Mice it will be , and some heavy tippet material . Cause I know by the weekend I will be itching to cast somewhere and I'm sure I will have to resort to whatever is close a time or too.

I will definately hit the Narrow Hills now ! But that wont be for at least a couple of weeks i figure , most of the other lakes I have found are either in the Cypress hills , or the Narrow hills areas , like Meadow , Burtlein ,Mullock , Piprell , Roblin?? , Twin Lakes , and Lady lake , Exner in Mukwa PP , Big Jade( not sure that sounds so good) , and Little Rasberry . All of these should have some trout in them . Wherever i find some good waters i will share , mid July in the sweltering praries , may be a bit warm in lower elevations but well see..

Thanks for the tips guys !!