Fly Fusion Forums

Tying With Cdc

bhurt

So I just started tying with CDC and I went out and bought a bulk box of CDC (Before anyone says anything I know the feathers in the bulk box is not the greatest but since I just started tying with CDC I much rather buy a bulk box learn how to tie with it and perfect it instead of wasting good feathers and money on learning how to tie with the material)

My question for all the tying guru's out there is what tips or tricks they are willing to share with me with tying with cdc.

So far I have tied 1 1/2 dozen cdc caddis and really like the material.

Tye lots of them. Contrary to what I read, I found cdc soaked up water pretty quick. I mean like ten casts or less. It didn't seem to make much difference whether I used cdc oil, Aquel, or left them natural. Also, get a larger fly patch, because once they're wet they don't shed the water with false casts, and even an Amadou pad won't make them fishable. They have to air-dry 100%. After a couple years, I gave all my cdc away.

Tye lots of them. Contrary to what I read, I found cdc soaked up water pretty quick. I mean like ten casts or less. It didn't seem to make much difference whether I used cdc oil, Aquel, or left them natural. Also, get a larger fly patch, because once they're wet they don't shed the water with false casts, and even an Amadou pad won't make them fishable. They have to air-dry 100%. After a couple years, I gave all my cdc away.

I fish a fair bit of CDC dry's, they do get wet and can be a bit of a bugger to dry.

I either carry a small chunk of clean cotton rag or usually use my sweatshirt sleeve . Give the fly a good squeeze in the cotton, that takes the wet away then I use a desicant like frogs fanny etc... it has to have a brush in the bottle to apply correctly this helps to stab the powder right into the fly and your back fishing.

Start to finish it only takes about 15 seconds, the drying in the sleeve thing is good technique for non cdc dries as well.

The powder to work well has to be really fine and wispy the chunky stuff isn't worth beans.

Burt stop by the shop some sunday & i'll show you a few different ties for cdc.

Dave from SB.