Fly Fusion Forums

Spooked Fish Vs New Water

When I am out on the river I usually work the same 300 yard stretch for a couple of hours. Usually starting at one end and work to the other and repeat a little deeper. I think that i have probably spooked the fish there, but I am hoping that they return after about an hour which is usually the time it takes me to go to the other end. I try to be as stealth as I can, however at 6'2" 220 stealth is not really the word I would use to describe.

A lot of time I see other anglers in the same 20 or 30 yard position for several hours is this a better approach?

Can someone tell me how long it takes the fish to return to a feeding position after being spooked?

Will other fish take their place after a shorter period of time?

Or should I constantly seek new water and fish multstretchesaches in the same outing?

Thanks

Greg

If you are fishing a 300 yd stretch, there is no problem coming back to the starting point. Most/all spooked fish will return in far less than an hour in my opinion. You can fish exactly the same water if it has been over an hour.

I can't imagine working the same 20-30 yds for hours. But I love those people. They leave so much more water for the rest of us.

fish move in and out of prime feeding lies all day. If the prime lie is 20-30 yards of a riffle or drop-off then work it, hard. If the feeding lie could be anywhere in a 300 yard long seam then yes you must work it all to find the fish.. once found usually they will be within 50 yards of where they where found for at least the next little while.

I think fish don't spook in the Bow much (if they are feeding in 4-5 foot deep chop water) until you hook' em. Especially in less than 2ft vis. Now if it's totally clear it's a bit different... they will spook when one of their friends gets hooked :)