Fly Fusion Forums

Practice Fly Rods

I just got out for the first time in a few months. Casting was rusting.

Has anyone tried the practice rods with yarn line? Your take? I saw them at the FF expo, but didn't have an interest at the time.

Yea they are pretty fun little toys. I was thinking of buying one but you will use them and then it will just sit there. Ya but i saw them at wholesale sports some guy was sitting there casting it in the fly shop. He said it was 40 bucks.

bhurt- There is year round open trout water 10 minutes from my door. If I had time to rig up and walk around a field, I may as well go fishing. Then practice is not an issue, because I wouldn't be getting rusty.

I'm looking for something I can pick up in the living room and keep the muscle memory going. I should be able to get out more in the coming years, so maybe I'm asking this question too late. The kids would probably get a kick out of it, anyway.

It's good to know most shops have them. I'll check them out some time soon.

bhurt- There is year round open trout water 10 minutes from my door. If I had time to rig up and walk around a field, I may as well go fishing. Then practice is not an issue, because I wouldn't be getting rusty.

I'm looking for something I can pick up in the living room and keep the muscle memory going. I should be able to get out more in the coming years, so maybe I'm asking this question too late. The kids would probably get a kick out of it, anyway.

Conor

You talk about muscle memory so let me ask you this question?

The pratice rod is it the same weight, length, action as the rod you are using?

No sence in praticeing muscle memory with something that is lighter or not even the same action cause when you pick up your REAL rod then you would have to adjust again to that rod and you have been fishing for long enough that YOU know what to do.

I also live right next to FC but I do not have time every night to go down to the river so I spend 5 or 10mins just practing where I can hence I do as you say work on muscle memory with something that I am actually going to use.

These practice rods you are talking about are only good in my own opion for someone that is new to fishing and needs to learn the mechaincs of casting and not for muscle memory.

Conor,

I tottally get where you are coming from and understand that you do not want any casting rust when you do actually get out on the river, but how long does it really take toshake off that rust? One day, two days??? Why not go to less productive water first get the rust off then move to the more productive water and start slaying the trout?

I also know you like the bambo and I just do not think these practice rods can simulate the same feel as a bamboo rod.

As for your kids I think it is a great thing to INTRODUCE them to fly fishing but once again the rod is much smaller then something they would be using at the river and it might discourage them if they do not have the same sucess as they did with the practice rod.

In my own opion I think these things are a big waste of money and better for instructors that are working with new people for the very first time.

I remeber when I was having troubles with my single hand casting a few years back and with a few suggestions from Max, and Dave Blair from Fish Tales my casting was 100 times better. And we used the rod that I was casting also and not a practice rod.