Fly Fusion Forums

Pondering @ My Vice

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha! Thank you for the headsup on Imagecave Toirtis !

These are my first few flies this year , notice the Fat lil CJ has been chewed up ...lil bows liked it...

A couple more Caddis have had their hackles unwound via teeth ! So they have found a permanent home on my hat and are enjoying retirement . I DO still have work to do on hackles ( like maybe splitting the feathers down the spine so as not to fold over and flatten previous wraps).

.........Thank you Fellas' for some great ideas ( ie: damsel's eyes =bathtub chain, collection of "dubbing" from the dryer lint trap. )

What a great way to incorporate " fly tying" in everyday life ! Even when I'm back up north , and hundreds of km's away from " Paradise " . Everyone I know , knows of my obsession and love of everything outdoors .......they are going to know I'm a nut now( analyzing trash etc)....Haha!!!

See you out there fellas !

Tight lines and Screamin' Reels

Very nice. What did you use on the fly that is on the left of the last pic...it has some really nice iridescence.

Thanks Bro!!

That is my first Stonefly attempt , hence the PH T wings cropped back to look somewhat like a wing as it didn't work very well . Also missing any type of wing caseing ( turkey feathers/thinskin) .

The flash is

Uni-Mylar 1/16" Pearl.

always looking for a reason to add it

Ok , sitting here tying up some SJW's and of course watching the game and routing for our Canadian team.....would anyone have any favourite wired patterns they would not mind sharing , I just want to keep on improving and experimenting .

I can not help but have two totally different subjects spinning through my mind.....

1: and not so important , but its gonna be weird getting used to next years NHL change to the NTHL ( ....touch hockey league) as long as the guy's are safe .

2: protected species in waters . ie: bull trout .

IMO , a full ban of any fishing in waters that Bullies call home , is the ONLY true way to diligently protect any species of any type . Especially seeing as the reason the trout are in trouble in the first place , from what I understand IS man ourselves . In stating that , I'm sure there are a few other choices that may not be so harsh , to us . And being a member of a species , whom seem to be somewhat biased and generally choose to favour our own interest's ( not always and we are learning , good job) .

What I consider an important aspect in this activity in all waters , just as important if not more than carrying a rod to these waters to actually fish them , effectively . Is to be able to release any un"Targeted" fish responsibly and safely to give said fish a chance of survival any time man tampers with them . As we all get that , to us it is a passion and unless we are fishing for sustenance , we choose to do this for....."something to do" each and everytime . We may debate that to death , but seriously...each and every time a fish takes our offering , it isnt playing . Let alone the Big , Bigger , Biggest rule of law they have no choice to abide by.

Ok enough digressing (as I most often do) .............Darn 2-0 Boston ! now ( see)

OK all I'm really trying to say is , seeing as we try to be responsible members of this planet ( E for effort ) , and for the most of us , selective fisherman . Should there not be regulations to learn how to affect any fish , not meant for the table as lightly as possible ?!

Please correct me if I'm wrong , I do not wish to be ignorant and will definately research this. Yet shall get it off of my mind as I'm halfway through this . I do not remember a course in responsible fishing , mandatory and required to purchase a first license . Never heard of it . Although there are more courses in our lifestyle than ever before.....Kudos !!

To be a hunter , we must learn firearm and wilderness safety and ethical practices ( not that everyone follows) , it IS mandatory to become a hunter to take this .

How about fishing ? IF all waters stay open for business even if they contain protected species , should'nt that warrant knowledge of everyone to learn safe handling techniques and practice them . I mean it's only fair ..IMO

To the fish!!

ok ...end of rant !

3 nothing Boston ....Ive gotta go cheer on canada !! Even if its not Iggy , Regehr , Kipper and the boys..

Ok , sitting here tying up some SJW's and of course watching the game and routing for our Canadian team.....would anyone have any favourite wired patterns they would not mind sharing , I just want to keep on improving and experimenting .

Do you mean heavy wire stuff or fine wire? For heavy wire there's a bit to play with on a SJW like having floss or similar materials (DNA works well) coming out the front and back of the fly or palmering hackle up the space between the wire wraps. For fine wire there's always different colours of copper johns, brassies, etc.

Do you mean heavy wire stuff or fine wire? For heavy wire there's a bit to play with on a SJW like having floss or similar materials (DNA works well) coming out the front and back of the fly or palmering hackle up the space between the wire wraps. For fine wire there's always different colours of copper johns, brassies, etc.

I do try both , and the floss is great for any spaces between wraps , I have been using .025 and.015 weight ( afraid to say uh.....lead) . And I do try not to make them so bulky that they don't resemble a worm. Also , went through a period where I was looking to improve the "worm" . And flash(mylar) or BDHD doesnt really fit , (although I have made up some midge on roids) I made some up anyhow . Gonna try and see what works best . But I do find that any tails especially rear seem to fray after a day in the water ( even with out teeth on em') if they are made up of the little chenille and melted at the tips . I guess I'm trying to cheat a bit and see what works best , full chenille or full wire , mix /Beaded or not , tails or not..

I get that its just a worm . But I really believe it is the bread and butta' on the Bow . And I would like to do some mass production , of the best rated recipe . IE: which wired pattern is the best one to tie , for a friend . For me I try lots and everything because I like to explore , but for my Buddy I don't want to give him what I like as I am constantly learning and have yet to choose a fav. I want to give him a perfect representation of these ..without the extras that " I " may like . Unless of course the fish love em too.

Proof is in the puddin' , and the pattern that works best , judged by the fish is what I'm hoping to find . Just regular wire or chenille seems so basic....and makes me think( K.I.S.S) hmmm

I just tried one with weight and then 4 strand rayon floss , it looks as good as wire ! If not better...too me!

Just looking for suggestions

I do try both , and the floss is great for any spaces between wraps , I have been using .025 and.015 weight ( afraid to say uh.....lead) . And I do try not to make them so bulky that they don't resemble a worm. Also , went through a period where I was looking to improve the "worm" . And flash(mylar) or BDHD doesnt really fit , (although I have made up some midge on roids) I made some up anyhow . Gonna try and see what works best . But I do find that any tails especially rear seem to fray after a day in the water ( even with out teeth on em') if they are made up of the little chenille and melted at the tips . I guess I'm trying to cheat a bit and see what works best , full chenille or full wire , mix /Beaded or not , tails or not..

I get that its just a worm . But I really believe it is the bread and butta' on the Bow . And I would like to do some mass production , of the best rated recipe . IE: which wired pattern is the best one to tie , for a friend . For me I try lots and everything because I like to explore , but for my Buddy I don't want to give him what I like as I am constantly learning and have yet to choose a fav. I want to give him a perfect representation of these ..without the extras that " I " may like . Unless of course the fish love em too.

Proof is in the puddin' , and the pattern that works best , judged by the fish is what I'm hoping to find . Just regular wire or chenille seems so basic....and makes me think( K.I.S.S) hmmm

I just tried one with weight and then 4 strand rayon floss , it looks as good as wire ! If not better...too me!

Palmering hackle....Awesome idea...thanks Bro!

I tied some that look great to me - in the smaller hook sizes - red tinsel underneath clear medium liquid lace.

Havent been out much yet to give them a good trial, but damn they look good to me.

I tied some that look great to me - in the smaller hook sizes - red tinsel underneath clear medium liquid lace.

Havent been out much yet to give them a good trial, but damn they look good to me.

Oh yeah , I've seen a couple of those , they do look good! I must be at F Tales every other day , and am lucky if I remember what I had in mind when I first get there , kid in a candy store . I have to add liquid lace to the list ...Thank you , and keep up to date if they work and what you think...thanks man . I did a bunch up in diff sizes and hooks ie: 1870 daiichi , 37160 Mustads ( weaning myself off of Mustads , and I cant find the package as I finished up some hooks that have that 30 degree bend in the middle (mustad) ) just using up what I have to see if they will work , they looked good one time , with all the great nymph hooks there are now ....its great ! mostly just wire wrapped w/chenille rear tails ( just for effect until they fall off ) and the red clear beadheads , couple w/hackle wrapped , and another w/peacock herl head . I started weighting them , but they just look fat even with .015 weight , so I gave it up...I will have to remember liquid lace ...Thanks man...Tight lines

Well was an ugly day out on the river , just grey for a while cpl sprinkles , then heavier rain ...what a blast....I took some of the SJW's I just tied , love it !!

Big%20Bow%20Brown%20June%2011%202011%20(ii).jpg

Big%20Bow%20Brown%20June%2011%202011.jpg

So did this doe , my biggest Brown so far ! They just keep getting bigger !

No more tilting the fish either for pics , darn it!! She was very bright, kind of a cloudy look to her ! Maybe its the water conditions

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels

Was out again today , with some brand spankin new homemade SJW's , LDR on first cast ! ........Good sign!

Fish rising all around off and on......Golden Stonefly nymphs trying to make there way to the bank , lots of large mayflies 1" ( Drakes maybe) slate coloured . hmmm

Also ran into this little guy on a trail with his twin and they dove into their home , so w/my head on a swivel (40+ coyotes have fallen to my .204 in the past) so I am aware and experienced around these guys . I managed to coax this little guy out for some pics !! ( city pups , and den on a trail , and thats where I stayed as to not disturb) Mom and Dad out for groceries!!

Coyote%20Pup%20(i).jpg

Coyote%20Pup(iii).jpg

Coyote%20Pup(iv).jpg

Coyote%20Pup(ii).jpg

Was out again today , with some brand spankin new homemade SJW's , LDR on first cast ! ........Good sign!

Fish rising all around off and on......Golden Stonefly nymphs trying to make there way to the bank , lots of large mayflies 1" ( Drakes maybe) slate coloured . hmmm

Also ran into this little guy on a trail with his twin and they dove into their home , so w/my head on a swivel (40+ coyotes have fallen to my .204 in the past) so I am aware and experienced around these guys . I managed to coax this little guy out for some pics !! ( city pups , and den on a trail , and thats where I stayed as to not disturb) Mom and Dad out for groceries!!

I'm amazed you found them, guess the other one was too shy to come out eh?

I'm amazed you found them, guess the other one was too shy to come out eh?

Yeah , I didnt stick around wanted to catch up to ya . + I didn't want to tame these guys , bad enough w/ pets missing around town . Gave him a wee scare back into his den , so he doesnt think people are ok to approach .

Bro , I'm glad your phone survived , geeze its usually me going for a dip!

Yeah , I didnt stick around wanted to catch up to ya . + I didn't want to tame these guys , bad enough w/ pets missing around town . Gave him a wee scare back into his den , so he doesnt think people are ok to approach .

Bro , I'm glad your phone survived , geeze its usually me going for a dip!

They calls me "falls in river" for a reason copper lol. You both warned me and I still went up to my neck in that hole LOL

They calls me "falls in river" for a reason copper lol. You both warned me and I still went up to my neck in that hole LOL

Not being up north , I forgot how to communicate ! From now on I'm going to try and tell ya (a newfie) how to fish and were to stand! <--poke--< I'm sure that'll go over REEL well ! lol , just kiddin'. Hard part is being a Newbie , I can't actually call it "reverse" psychology . Just a twist in tactics .

Ok so was at my fave fly shop today , and was it easy to decide which pattern to suit up with as I was looking for something a little different than what I've been doing lately . After watching many DvD's and youtube vids over the past couple of years , I have definately got an itch to pursue Steelies . Also have been very keen to try some Wet's , and streamers , zonkers, clowser's and even ...MICE ! yup , I figure if the NZ trout like em , maybe ours do too . And if not at least some pike will someday , if I ever gain a lust for them.....having tied some wooly buggers before, the " Slump Buster" , is prime for warming up to some of these patterns ...so here goes. rabbit stripped ...and coneheaded its just what I have been looking for and if I can find some proper foam , I'm gonna give the Ska-opper a try ...will be great for learning bunching up deer hair . All in the name of experimental tying , ...........im pumped

Trout on mice patterns are great fun, but I haven't heard of a lot of people having luck with them on the bow. Still worth a shot. One thing to note is that the guides in Alaska called the Morrish mouse a killer - as in trout take it deep and it usually kills them. Mr. Hanky was the mouse pattern of choice up there.

Ohhhwwe !!! really ? Ok thats really good to know then . Dang!! hmmm . maybe it would be a good idea to kind of have a lil database or poll identifying " Killer" patterns , or ones to avoid ...of any style.. thanks bro point taken .. also I couldnt help myself last night but check out "Wolfie's" blog and explore what it has to offer ! what a calming read , very interesting I enjoyed it much . And in doing that he has a couple of vids on there worth checking out....one was a type of pattern with a "hookless fly" using a hook that seperates from the main fly with a 5 or 6" sliding .....tippet where the hook is that far from the fly so when a fish grabs the fly the hook is still on the exterior wall of the mouth and you set the hook ( a circle one) it curls around the outside of the lip until it catches on the outside as well . making it a very very efficient method to catch and release ...even a special tool that slides down the line and helps to slip the hook right out without even having to touch the fish , nor even lift it out of the water! check it out . really cool idea . I will try and get the info on the video , so maybe I may post it here to share .....very good idea "Wolfie" , if you happen to see this!!

well after reviewing the video again , ( yet was longer and w/more info regarding the "Moffitt System" last night) the circle hook alone STILL does not answer the problem regarding the fish taking it deep...hmm maybe the moffitt system is what caught my eye as well.....will have another look.

10 mins later....I found it here it is ..."Conservation" (youtube):