Fly Fusion Forums

Saltwater Line In Fresh

jasonvilly

Question:

Bought a set up awhile ago for bone fishing. It is the avid series saltwater line.

I am thinking about heading out pike fishing and was wondering if the saltwater line would be okay to use?

I assume it won't float as well but should work, it shouldn't hurt the line I don't think. It would be nice to not have to buy something new for only a couple of excursions this spring.

Question:

Bought a set up awhile ago for bone fishing. It is the avid series saltwater line.

I am thinking about heading out pike fishing and was wondering if the saltwater line would be okay to use?

I assume it won't float as well but should work, it shouldn't hurt the line I don't think. It would be nice to not have to buy something new for only a couple of excursions this spring.

just a guess, but as salt water is much more bouyant than fresh water i suspect a saltwater floating line wouldnt have the "floatability" of a fresh water line. conversely a sinking saltwater line would have to be heavier to provide the same degree of "sinkability" as a fresh water sinking line.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeremie

I fish a bonefish intermediate line on my 6 weight and its fine. I also fish a flats line on my 9 weight for pike, salmon, lake trout. I dont feel much of a difference. Its definitely easier to double haul it feels. Otherwise i dont feel a difference, but i also havnt experienced severe weather conditions yet.