Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Wading Boots - Sole Replacement?

I sent a message to Simms as well, but in the meantime...

2 seasons ago I bought myself a pair of Simms guide boots: http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/guide_boo...udded_aqua.html

This year I've noticed that the Vibram soles are pretty worn. The edges are quite rounded now, and I find myself slipping and sliding far too much for comfort! Have fallen in once already this year. haha I love the boots themselves, and they're still in awesome shape, so I'm wondering whether or not the soles can be replaced? Is 2 seasons (keeping in mind I only fish probably 15-20 times a season) normal for the vibram soles to wear? I know they've only been out for a few years.. but have any of you had this same problem?

Although I like the idea of vibram for reducing the chance of spreading aquatic 'nasties' like didymo (debatable, I know), I'm thinking that if they're only going to last 2 seasons I'll probably just go back to felt, or studded felt.

You could always try adding hardbite studs or cleats to them. I bought a pair of the G4 guide boots when they first came out (2 years ago?) and had them disintegrate this year on the Skeena long before the soles wore out. Probably had somewhere around 150-200 days on them. I replaced them with another pair of the same boots.

web.jpg

This year I've noticed that the Vibram soles are pretty worn. The edges are quite rounded now, and I find myself slipping and sliding far too much for comfort! Have fallen in once already this year. haha I love the boots themselves, and they're still in awesome shape, so I'm wondering whether or not the soles can be replaced? Is 2 seasons (keeping in mind I only fish probably 15-20 times a season) normal for the vibram soles to wear? I know they've only been out for a few years.. but have any of you had this same problem?

Screw in some studs, and you'll get another season out of them, I had the same experience with mine.

Ryan,

I was down at Alpine today at lunch dropping off some sandals for repair and inquired as to resoling wading boots... They do resole wading boots, but you need to purchase the resole kit from a retailer (Fly Shop) and they will put them on for you... They do about 6 - 8 wading boot resoles a year so not enough to stock the kits themselves...

P

Ryan,

I was down at Alpine today at lunch dropping off some sandals for repair and inquired as to resoling wading boots... They do resole wading boots, but you need to purchase the resole kit from a retailer (Fly Shop) and they will put them on for you... They do about 6 - 8 wading boot resoles a year so not enough to stock the kits themselves...

P

Cool! Thanks Pete!

• 4 weeks later...

AH yes, these cursed vibram soles they use. They don't last worth a SH*T! Read on.

Two summers ago, the toe area on my new ones wore out in just 21 days of walk n wading. Simms replaced the boots because of how poorly they lasted, and gave me spare Vibram soles. Last summer I wore the vibram soles off again and had Alpine Shoe put on the free soles Simms had supplied, and they too were worn out by mid summer.

Simms then suggested I send them to "Quick Cobbler" in Vanc BC as they carry the proper Vibram soles. Well 3 weeks and $162.34 later I got them back. Can you believe that repair cost? You can buy entire wading boots for less.

And just today, though the soles themselves are still in good shape, that expensive resole job is separating and will need repair.

I am some ticked. :$*%&:

post-309-1307929315.jpg

I can't emphasize enough to avoid these types of boot soles if you do any amount of walk and wading. The things just don't last. Felt lasts longer, I have both. And avoid Quick Cobbler in Vancouver, too.

Getting vibram replacement soles is not very easy either. The only place in Western Canada who has the soles is Quick Cobbler in Vancouver and I spoke with them today, they won't sell just the soles, even though the Simms website claims they do. And there is no replacement vibram "kit" available from any flyfishing stores.

These aqua soles are a real nuisance, I'll tell ya. Maybe if Simms gets enough complaints (eventually) they will make it simpler for Canadian consumers to buy the Vibram soles from the same shops that sell the boots in the first place. At this point, they certainly are not making it easy for Canadian customers.

Anybody considering buying a pair of Simms aqua stealth rubber sole boots, be sure to thoroughly question the store staff about replacement soles, and don't let them try to tell you that they shouldn't wear out (like I was told!) or that you can just get them done locally (unless you have the vibram!). Knowing these details above, I suspect you will know more about the topic than the store staff might. And remember $162 to have them done in Vancouver---our only option right now. (Or order soles from the USA, not convenient).

Getting vibram replacement soles is not very easy either. The only place in Western Canada who has the soles is Quick Cobbler in Vancouver and I spoke with them today, they won't sell just the soles, even though the Simms website claims they do. And there is no replacement vibram "kit" available from any flyfishing stores.

These aqua soles are a real nuisance, I'll tell ya. Maybe if Simms gets enough complaints (eventually) they will make it simpler for Canadian consumers to buy the Vibram soles from the same shops that sell the boots in the first place. At this point, they certainly are not making it easy for Canadian customers.

Anybody considering buying a pair of Simms aqua stealth rubber sole boots, be sure to thoroughly question the store staff about replacement soles, and don't let them try to tell you that they shouldn't wear out (like I was told!) or that you can just get them done locally (unless you have the vibram!). Knowing these details above, I suspect you will know more about the topic than the store staff might. And remember $162 to have them done in Vancouver---our only option right now. (Or order soles from the USA, not convenient).

Are you talking about the StreamTread Vibram soles or the Aquastealth ones? Two very different things...

When the souls or felt starts to come apart put this stuff on it: (Elmer's P9406 Ultimate High Performance Glue 2-Ounce)

and let it set over night checking it periodically to remove, and clean up the excess, and away you go better than new. Mine started doing just as the pictures above show, and I ripped them off and applied this stuff to them and they are perfect now. And, it most likely will never come apart again.

I did this to my SIMS boots and put on metal screws for the Ice in the winter after it was dry, and have had these boot for four years now with no issues.

Are you talking about the StreamTread Vibram soles or the Aquastealth ones? Two very different things...

My mistake--it's the Streamtread sole by Vibram. Not Aquastealth. Aquastealth, made by Fiveten makes resole kits available with the sole and Barge cement. Simms should too. The same glue is sold at MEC.

I think I'll try and contact Vibram directly to buy the soles next time.